Knoxville Tennessee Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
- 400 Kendall Rd NW Knoxville TN 37919-6803 United States
- This is our current schedule for 2016. Please call before coming.
- Tuesday:10:00am–4:00pm and 6:00pm–8:00pm
- To make an appointment for other times, please call in advance at (1-865-693-8252.)
Thanksgiving Week: We are open only on Tuesday, 22 November 2016: 10a.m.–4p.m.; 6p.m.–8p.m. We're closed the rest of the week. We reopen with our regular schedule on Tuesday, 29 November 2016. Have a happy Thanksgiving!
Christ-mas Holiday: This year, our last day will be 9 Dec 2016. We will re-open Tuesday, 3 January 2017.
Calendar and Events
Staff Training Meetings:
We hold regular staff training meetings on the second Saturday of each month at 10 a.m.
All Family History Consultants are invited to attend whether they are on our staff or not; whether they are in our stake or not.
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- (List additional collections you have such as the types of books and microfilm you have on indefinite loan; though you will not want to list every single item you have. Just give visitors to this page a general idea of your resources.)
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
- The center has six computers and also wi-fi connection ability for those bringing in their lap-tops. One of the computers serves as the Server/Admin computer for running the FHC. The other 5 computers are open for public research usage. The systems use Windows 7 programming.
- We have a Canon 300II microfilm/fiche scanner that is also networked to one of the 5 other computers and a printer for scanning copies from film and/or fiche. Cost for using the Scanner is $1.00 per hour of use along w/cost of any prints.
- In the FHC, we also have a 'retired' Canon 90 scanner that many patrons prefer to use as a film and/or fiche reader along with one microfilm reader and microfiche reader. We no longer use it for scanning.
- The computers are networked to two printers (Lexmark & HP) for printing out items from the internet that you might require for your research. The cost for prints is $0.10 each. We strongly recommend that you bring a USB drive so you can download any items you would otherwise want to print(that way, when you get home, you can see the image larger on your home computer.)
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
(This section is to highlight other resources in your area that will be helpful for individuals doing research there in your location, if there are any, such as government offices, historical societies, etc.)
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Center
We Need more Volunteers for our Family History Center!
Requirements to Volunteer:
A desire to serve the community. Our work in the FHC is entirely voluntary. You do not have to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We have many fine volunteers from the community, who are not LDS who serve in our FHC. An interest in Family History is a great help, but not necessary. Once you get started learning the different Family History programs by teaching others and doing your own Family History, you'll see why it's so fun!
An ability to work w/computers. One of the main things we do is familiarize our patrons with how to use a computer in doing their Family History research.
A desire to learn and teach others how to do Family History and it's many facets. We have a wide spectrum of volunteers on our staff: Some who are professional researchers, and others who are just learning how to do Family History. Journaling and Family History Indexing are the specialties of the current director. We all work together to make sure we can serve as best as possible the patrons who come to the Knoxville, TN FHC. A desire to learn about Family History and to teach others is what makes our Family History Center work!
The ability to come to the Family History Center frequently. The definition for "frequently" here means at least once a week. Because of the rapid - and rapid is the best word! - changes that are being made in computer programming for Family History, it is important that you come to the FHC at least weekly. The various work shifts are either 2 or 3 hours depending on whether you are serving in the evening or daytime, respectively. We are also required to maintain 2 people on each shift to keep the FHC open. We could definitely use your help!
If you are interested in joining our staff, please go to the email address above: email@example.com . Send us some info about yourself (name, contact info, and preferred time(s) to work). The FHC Director will get back with you as soon as possible. Thank you, in advance, for your willingness to volunteer at the Knoxville, TN Family History Center.