Laie Hawaii Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
(Add a brief paragraph about your center here and the area it serves. Information in italics below is guidance for you and should be deleted as you fill out the page. Remove italics from other text by selecting the text and clicking the "I" box in the Toolbar above.)
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
- 55-630 Naniloa Loop Laie HI 96762 United States
- We are across the fountain from the Laie Temple Visitor's Center.
- Tuesday:10:00am-4:00pm and 6:00pm-8:00pm
- Wednesday:12:30pm-4:00pm and 6:00pm-8:00pm
- Thursday:10:00am-4:00pm and 6:00pm-8:00pm
- Saturday:By Appointment Only. Please provide 2 weeks in advance.
- Sunday: 2:30pm-5:00pm
- Closed June 28 – Monday, July 11, 2016 (Closed when the Laie Temple is closed for maintenance.)
- Closed on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday on Thanksgiving week, November 23-25, 2016.
- Closed from December 23, 2016 to January 9, 2017. Reopens on January 10, 2017.
Calendar and Events
Staff Training Meetings
Internet is available using the computers. We do not have Wifi at this FHC.
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- (List additional collections you have such as the types of books and microfilm you have on indefinite loan; though you will not want to list every single item you have. Just give visitors to this page a general idea of your resources.)
- Hawaiian Family Group Records, large collection
- Samoan Family Group Records, large collection
- Smaller, but significant collections of Family Group Records from Tonga, Australia, New Zealand, China, Japan and Tahiti.
- Hawaiian State Obituaries, taken from the Honolulu Star Bulletin and the Honolulu Advertiser. Mostly covers parts of the 1970s and 1980s. Large collection in 18 binders.
- Hawaii Obituary Index, 1968-1969.
- Family Obituaries: Achi, Cole, Cooke, Hoog, Johnson. Small collection.
- Various Hawaii censuses, including 1890 and 1910.
- Various Hawaiian vital records.
- Various Tongan vital records, including births and deaths from as early as 1857.
- Various books that are research tools, such as Passenger and Immigration List Index, and The Famine Immigrants. Our book collection, although small compared to the FHL, broadly covers most states and many countries.
Databases and Software
FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center only to premium family history websites that generally charge for subscriptions, including☀
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive - This fully searchable database of the British Library's newspaper holdings provides a complete run of 48 national and regional Victorian British newspapers for the 19th century from 1800 to 1900. These support the study of colonial history, genealogical research, politics, urban studies, and media courses.
- Access Newspaper Archive -- the largest historical newspaper database online, contains tens of millions of newspaper pages from 1753 to present. Every newspaper in the archive is fully searchable by keyword and date, making it easy for you to quickly explore historical content. All 50 states plus 10 countries.
- Alexander Street Press - The American Civil War: Research Database Letters and Diaries Images, Photographs, Posters, and Ephemera
- Ancestry.com - Institution Versions: U.S. | Australia | Canada | Germany | Sweden | United Kingdom
- ArkivDigital Online -- Swedish genealogy.
- Find My Past - Institution Version- 1.7 billion international family history records from the U.S., Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand and beyond with records going back to 1200. New collections are added every month,
- Fold3.com (Previously known as Footnote.com) -- Fold3 provides convenient access to US military records, including the stories, photos, and personal documents of the men and women who served.
- My Heritage-Library Edition - Used by millions of people worldwide to help research family history, build a family tree, and add photos, historical records, and more.
- Paper Trail -- a guide to overland pioneer names and documents. Provides access to 19th-century westward American migration documents.
- ProQuest Obituary Listings- The ProQuest obituaries collection is a premier resource for genealogical and historical research. You can use the collection to search obituaries and death notices from prominent newspapers, such as the New York Times (dating back to 1851). The collection includes both famous and lesser-known individuals and can be searched by name or by keywords appearing in the body of the article.
- Kinpoint Premium-Kinpoint is designed to make it easier for you to do your family history by letting you see what to work on at a glance; quickly find missing information in your family tree; and discover insights into the lives of your ancestors.
- Puzzilla.org Premium- Find new research opportunities on descendant lines in Family Tree.
- World Vital Records -- All content has been added to MyHeritage.com (who purchased WVR). The link to World Vital Records currently redirects to MyHeritage.com. In the near future, World Vital Records will be removed from the Portal.
- Databases here at our center: (These can be found on the computer at the front desk- ask for assistance.)
- Hawaiian Delayed Birth Record Index
- Hawaiian Birth Register
- Hawaiian Pedigree Index
Hardware and Equipment
- 15 Patron Computers
- 2 Lexmark Printers, black and white (Charge of $0.10 per page.)
- 1 Lexmark Copier/Printer/Scanner (Charge of $0.10 per page.)
- 1 Microfilm reader
- 1 Microfilm/Microfiche reader/scanner, (a Cannon Microfilm Scanner 300)
- Kodak Photo Scanner; scans both from flat bed and auto feed source.
- A Projector and a Screen for classes and training.
Software Installed at the FHC:
- Family History Software Utilities
- Personal Historian (Milennia Corporation). Writes and preserves personal life stories.
- PAF 5 (Progeny Software)
- Ancestral Quest 14 (By Incline Software)
- Roots Magic (formerly Family Origins)
- FamilySearch Indexing
- Family Insight
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
(This section is to highlight other resources in your area that will be helpful for individuals doing research there in your location, if there are any, such as government offices, historical societies, etc.)
Hawaii Vital Records Using this web service, you may order certified copies of birth and marriage/civil union certificates and only of records dating from July 1909 to the present.
There is a death record index on Hawaii Deaths and Burials (FamilySearch Historical Records).
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Center
We are looking for committed, reliable people who love family history! Not an expert? That's okay! Come and learn! Shifts are from 2 hours (evenings) to 3 and 3 1/2 hours (daytime.)