Lakeville Minnesota Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Center Contacts and Hours
Location Map: Location Map
Address: 18460 Kachina Ct Lakeville, MN 55044
- Enter building on the west side by the stairs. For handicap access please call the center at 1-952-435-2681 (and enter on the north or south side of the building using wheelchair ramps).
- Language: English
- Wednesdays: 9:00am-3:00pm and 6:45pm-8:15pm
- Thursdays: 9:00am-3:00pm
Closed during holidays: For access by appointment please email. Please call the center before coming to see if open. The center is volunteered run. Volunteers have unexpected family commitment or illness, therefore we sometimes have to close the center.
Calendar and Events
- No current classes scheduled. For training or class requests please email.
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- Patrons' Microfiche Collection -- a collection of fiche ordered by our patrons, assorted titles. Contain family histories, vital records, and other types of information.
- Indefinite Film Collection -- Numerous German microfilms on extended loan specializing in Ostfriesland, Germany.
- Book Collection: --
- Full list of microfilm and microfiche at our library found http://sdrv.ms/12384hJ
Databases and Software
FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. Websites available are:
- 19th Century British Newspapers
- Alexander Street Press (Civil War)
- Access Newspaper Archive
- Swedish church records
- Find My Past (UK)
- Fold 3 (formerly Footnote, specializing in military records)
- The Genealogist (UK)
- Godfrey Memorial Library
- Heritage Quest
- Paper Trail
- World Vital Records
Hardware and Equipment
- 8 patron use computers, Microfilm and Microfiche readers, Black and white laser printer and Digital camera for microfilm pictures.
Staff Research Specialties
- German ancestor research - specializing in Ostfriesland, Germany.
Resources in the Local Area
- FamilyTree - New church website for family history
- Familysearch companion software - additional tools to use with familysearch or familytree
- Createfan - Export your familysearch tree to a 9 generation chart.
- Family Tree Magazine - Excellent web resources, 101 best websites
- Cindi's List - online repository of 1000's of online resources
- Root's tech videos -
Volunteer at the Center
Community volunteers with an interest in family history, and a desire to serve others, who are willing to commit to a weekly shift for at least one-two years are invited to join our staff. Training will be provided. Contact the Director for further information.