Lawrence County, Kentucky Genealogy
Guide to Lawrence County, Kentucky ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Lawrence County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 14, 1821|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 African American
- 4.2 Bible
- 4.3 Biographies, Family History/Trees, GEDCOM files, etc
- 4.4 Cemeteries
- 4.5 Census
- 4.6 Church Records
- 4.7 Court
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Newspapers
- 4.13 Obituaries
- 4.14 Probate
- 4.15 Taxation
- 4.16 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
For animated maps illustrating Kentucky county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Kentucky County Boundary Maps" (1776-1939) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
|Adams||Elm Grove (hist.)||Kise (hist.)||Skaggs|
|Blaine||Fisher Town (hist.)||Lowmansville||Terryville|
|Brows Defeat (hist.)||Fullers||Mazie||Ulysses|
|Chapman||Glenwood||Overda||Webbs Mill (hist.)|
|Charley||Green Valley (hist.)||Patrick||Wilbur|
|Cherokee||Greenwood (hist.)||Peach Orchard||Yatesville|
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
Biographies, Family History/Trees, GEDCOM files, etc
The following web sites have additional information on Lawrence county cemeteries.
- Interment.net Kentucky cemetery records by county.
- ePodunk list of Lawrence County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
For tips on accessing Lawrence County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Lawrence County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
Lawrence County Military Records
Lawrence County, Kentucky Genealogy Trails-Lawrence County, Kentucky Pensioners
Lawrence County, Kentucky Veterans
Lawrence County, Kentucky World War II Casualities, Army and Airforce
List of Revelutionary War Pensioners
- 1861-1865 - Kentucky Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Kentucky Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1912-1950 Kentucky Confederate Pension Applications 1912-1950 at FamilySearch — index and images
Regiments. Service men in Lawrence County, Kentucky Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Lawrence County, Kentucky Genealogy:
- - 14th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H and I.
- - 22nd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Enrolled Militia)(Union), Company D.
- - 39th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G, I and K.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Lawrence County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Big Sandy News Obituaries
Lawrence County KY Obituaries at Genealogy Trails
Lawrence County KY Archives: Death & Obituary Index Table
Lawrence County Public Library Obituary Searcher
Obituaries Lawrence Co., KY
Probate records are held by the Lawrence County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Lawrence County, Kentucky Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1774 – 1999 Kentucky Wills and Probate Records 1774-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1727 – 1990 Kentucky Probate Records 1727-1990 at FamilySearch — images
1821-1914 - Will Books 1 to 3 (1821-1914) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Lawrence County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Lawrence County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records. See also How to order Kentucky Vital Records
- 1852-1860 - Lawrence County Birth Index 1852-1860. Batch C517601 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Lawrence County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517602 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Lawrence County Birth Index 1875. Batch C517603 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1797-1954 - Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1822-1854 - GenealogyBuff.com: Miscellaneous Lawrence County, Kentucky Marriages 1822-1854
- 1852-1860 - Lawrence County Marriage Index 1852-1860. Batch M517601 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Lawrence County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517604 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Lawrence County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517605 at FamilySearch - free.
- Lawrence County Kentucky Marriage Index
Societies and Libraries
Lawrence County Historical Society
100 Rodburn Road, Apt. 121
Morehead KY 40351
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Lawrence County, KY History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Lawrence County, KY Archives Project
- Lawrence County KYGenWeb
- Lawrence County, KY Genealogy Forum
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Lawrence County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Lawrence County, KY Genealogy Trails
- Lawrence County KY Genealogy (Kentucky Genealogy)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Laurel County, Kentucky page 272, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0b/Igikentuckygl.pdf.