Leavenworth Kansas Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Center Contacts and Hours
- 1020 Limit St Leavenworth Kansas 66048-4205 United States
- The Center is open to all members of the public for family history and genealogical research, and for indexing through FamilySearch.
- Parking for the Center is on the north side of the building. The north door is often locked for security, so push the buzzer to the upper left of the door, and a consultant will let you in.
- Handicap entrances and parking are available--please call and let us know if you need to use those, and a consultant will meet you at those entrances to let you in the building, which is ADA compliant.
- There is no charge for use of the Center except for incidental printing. Free CD-ROMs are available for storing data and discoveries.
- 1-913-682-7729 An answering machine is available to leave messages. You will receive a return call within 48 hours.
Open Hours: the following days/times beginning March 15, 2017:
- Tuesday: 9:00am-12:00pm and 6:00pm-8:30pm
- Wednesday: 6:45pm-9:00pm
- Thursday: 7:00pm-9:00pm
- Sunday: For FHC classes during each Ward's Sunday School hour
- The center is available other times by appointment. Please call during Wednesday or Thursday open times to schedule such with the director.
The Center, because of the design of the building, is closed during severe storm or tornado warnings or watches. Please call ahead if there are warnings or watches for Leavenworth county or surrounding counties.
Calendar and Events
The Leavenworth TFHC will be closed to the public on Wednesday, June 14, 2017; and Wednesday, July 12, 2017 for private classes. You are welcome to come visit on the Tuesdays and Thursdays of those weeks, or call the Center to arrange a time by appointment.
If your organization desires special family history training please contact us to discuss options. Our Temple and Family History Consultants are available for instruction anywhere in Leavenworth county.
The Center trains volunteers in family history and in Family Search Indexing, plus the use of the premium research websites available at the Center, and welcomes those interested in volunteering.
- FamilySearch Catalog: The Center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- The Center has a sizeable collection of items on microfilm and microfiche, not yet digitized, on permanent loan from the FamilySearch Catalog. Before you order a film or fiche, please check with us to make sure we don't already have it.
- The Center owns a collection of microfilms of early records from Leavenworth area funeral homes.
- We have bound copies of data collections (state censuses, naturalization records, marriage records, etc.) from Leavenworth and surrounding counties in Kansas.
- We also own bound collections of county and state genealogical society newsletters, which contain lists and other excellent information hiding among their pages.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal The Center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
- The Center has two microfiche/microfilm readers and six computers available for Family History research. Patrons may also bring their own laptop or tablet computers for personal family history or research. To protect our computer systems and patrons, and to maintain a family-friendly environment, Internet access is limited by filtering software and Internet activity may be monitored.
- Users should have no expectation of privacy when accessing the Internet from the Family History Center. Anyone engaging in any activity deemed inappropriate by family history center staff will be asked to leave.
Resources in the Local Area
Digital Library of the KSGenWeb KS Genweb Internet Genealogy Society site
Leavenworth County Biographies KS Genweb Internet Genealogy Society site
Leavenworth County Obituaries KS Genweb Internet Genealogy Society site
Leavenworth County Cemeteries KS Genweb Internet Genealogy Society site
Leavenworth County Census records 1860, 1870, 1875, 1885 - KS Genweb Internet Genealogy Society site
Leavenworth County, Kansas: Family History & Genealogy, Census, Birth, Marriage, Death Vital Records & More (Linkpendium site)
Leavenworth County, Kansas: Cemetaries (Linkpendium site)
Volunteer at the Center
The Center trains volunteers in family history and in Family Search Indexing, and welcomes those interested in volunteering.
Other organizations are also seeking volunteers for genealogical research in Leavenworth. See the ongoing research projects at http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/leavenwo/main.htm