Leicester All Saints, Leicestershire Genealogy
|Leicester All Saints, Leicestershire|
Former All Saints, Leicester
|Poor Law Union||Leicester|
|Parish registers: 1571; Separate registers exist for Leicester St Leonard beginning 1682|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1604; Separate records exist for Leicester St Leonard beginning 1566|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Leicester|
|Location of Archive|
|Leicestershire Record Office|
LEICESTER, a borough and market-town, having separate jurisdiction, and the head of a union, in the S. division of the county of Leicester, of which it is the chief town, 97 miles (N.N. W.) from London. The old borough, consisted of the parishes of All Saints, St. Leonard,St. Martin, and St. Nicholas, and part of the parishes of St.Margaret and St. Mary. 
All Saints Church, Leicester, is a redundant Anglican church in High Cross Street, Leicester, England. It has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade I listed building, and is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.
In the Domesday Book it is recorded that Leicester had six churches, and it is assumed that All Saints was one of these. In 1143 it was given to Leicester Abbey The church was enlarged in about 1300 when aisles were added. During the following century the tower and the nave were raised and new aisle roofs were built. The church was used for secular as well as sacred purposes. In 1418 Margery Kempe was tried for Lollardy (for being a follower of John Wycliffe) in the church. In 1583, during outbreaks of the plague, the assizes were held in the church. Later the local population and businesses in the city moved elsewhere in the city, and All Saints parish combined with other local parishes.
In the early 19th century the fabric of the church was deteriorating, and in 1829 the chancel was demolished and rebuilt. The local architect Henry Goddard added new seating and extended the gallery in 1843, and in 1855–56 he restored the roofs. In 1874–76 Joseph Goddard and Alfred Paget undertook a restoration involving the addition of new windows, building a new nave roof, and removing the gallery. The tower was restored by William Basset-Smith in 1894–95. A new road system was built in the city in the 1960s which isolated the church. The chancel was divided from the rest of the church to form a meeting room, but numbers attending the church continued to decline. It closed in 1982 and was then used as a store. The church was declared redundant on 1 January 1983, and was vested in the Churches Conservation Trust on 8 July 1986.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Leicester All Saints, Leicestershire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|PC = Parish Chest - (£). Registers delivered by email.|
|Leicester All Saints, Leicestershire Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Deposited records are found at the Leicester and Rutland Record Office
Contact: The Record Office
Telephone: 0116 2571080
Fax: 0116 2571120
Diocese of Leicester: Leicester All Saints Highcross Street Bap 1575 - 1968 Marr 1571 - 1971 (Banns to1977) Bur 1571 - 1855
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438751.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Leicestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.