Leicester All Souls, Leicestershire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

England Gotoarrow.png Leicestershire

Parish History

Leicester All Souls was formed from part of the Ancient Parish of Leicester St Mary de Castro, Leicestershire

All Soul's Church in Aylestone Road, in the western part of the South Fields, was built in 1907, and was one of the last works of the architect G. F. Bodley. The parish was formed in the same year. The advowson at first belonged to the Bishop of Peterborough, but after the creation of the diocese of Leicester in 1926 the Bishop of Leicester became patron.

From: 'The ancient borough: St. Mary's', A History of the County of Leicester: volume 4: The City of Leicester (1958), pp. 369-380. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=66579 Date accessed: 21 May 2011.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Deposited records are found at the Leicester and Rutland Record Office

Contact: The Record Office
Telephone: 0116 2571080
Fax: 0116 2571120
E-mail: recordoffice@leics.gov.uk

Diocese of Leicester: Leicester All Souls Aylestone Road Bap 1906 - 1983 Marr 1907 - 1984 (Banns to1984) Bur 1954 - 1984


Census records

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Leicestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>

Websites