Liberty County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Liberty County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Liberty County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||December 15, 1855|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 3.1 Parent County
- 3.2 Boundary Changes
- 3.3 Record Loss
- 3.4 Places / Localities
- 3.5 Resources
- 3.5.1 Cemeteries
- 3.5.2 Census
- 3.5.3 Church
- 3.5.4 Cites
- 3.5.5 Court
- 3.5.6 Immigration
- 3.5.7 Land
- 3.5.8 Local Histories
- 3.5.9 Maps
- 3.5.10 Military
- 3.5.11 Newspapers
- 3.5.12 Probate
- 3.5.13 Vital Records
- 3.6 Societies and Libraries
- 3.7 Web Sites
- 3.8 References
Liberty County Clerk of Court
10818 NW SR 20 P.O. Box 399 Bristol, FL. 32321
Liberty County, Florida Record Dates
Liberty County Courthouse
Hwy 20; PO Box 399
Bristol, FL 32321
County Judge has marriage and probate records
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce, court and land records. 
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|Tombstone Project||Veterans Administration National Cemeteries|
For tips on accessing Liberty County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census USGenWeb
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos USGenWeb
- Federal Census Information from National Archives USGenWeb
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives USGenWeb
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service USGenWeb
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
Churches of Liberty Co. - The FLGenWeb Project
LDS Ward and Branch Records
NARA Ships Passenger Lists
These passenger lists cover:
1834 - 1897 Immigration of Russians to the United States
1/12/1846 -12/31/1851 Irish Famine
1850 - 1897 Germans to the United States
1855 - 1900 Italians to the United States
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Liberty County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- Liberty Co.; The FLGenWeb Projet
- Florida State Military Files USGenWeb
- Florida state pension records from various wars Pension Transcriptions USGenWeb
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885-1955 - Florida Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1955 at FamilySearch — images only
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict distantcousin.com
- Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War distantcousin.com
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Liberty County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Early Florida Newspapers at the Florida State Library USGenWeb
Probate records are held by the Liberty County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Liberty County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1784 – 1990 Florida Probate Records 1784-1990 at FamilySearch — images
- 1810 – 1974 Florida Wills and Probate Records 1810-1974 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
- 1877 - 1939 Florida, Deaths, 1877-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1900 - 1921 Florida, Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921 at FamilySearch — index
- 1877 - 1998 Florida, Death Index, 1877-1998 at FamilySearch — index
- 1837 - 1974 Florida, Marriages, 1837-1974 at FamilySearch — index
- 1830 - 1993 Florida, Marriages, 1830-1993 at FamilySearch — index
- 1822 - 1875 and 1927 - 2001 Florida, Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001 at FamilySearch — index
- 1837 - 1974 - Florida, Marriages, 1837-1974 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1830 - 1993 - Florida, Marriages, 1830-1993 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1830 - 1957 - Florida, County Marriages, 1830-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1822 - 1875 and 1927 - 2001 - Florida, Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1857-1930 - Liberty County Marriage Books 1-3 Index 1857-1930 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Liberty County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Liberty County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Liberty County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 123-139. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Liberty County, Florida Page 135 At various libraries WorldCat; FHL Book 973 D27e 2002 FamilySearch.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/54/Igiflorida.pdf.