Lipscomb County, Texas Genealogy
Guide to Lipscomb County Texas ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Lipscomb County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||21 August, 1876|
|Address|| Lipscomb County Courthouse|
PO Box 70
Lipscomb, TX 79056
- 1 County Information
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Lipscomb County Courthouse
PO Box 70
Lipscomb, TX 79056
County Clerk Clk has birth, marriage, divorce, probate, court
and land records from 1887, military discharge records from
1919 and naturalization records 1926-1927
County and District Clerk
P.O. Box 70
Lipscomb County, Texas Record Dates
1876--Lipscomb County was created 21 August 1876 from Bexar Land District.
- County seat: Lipscomb 
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
Booker (partly in Ochiltree County) | Darrouzett | Follett | Higgins | Lipscomb
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|FindAGrave||Family History Library||FindAGrave|
|Billion Graves (name)||Cemeteries of TX|
|GenWeb Archives||Texas Cemeteries|
|Billion Graves (cemetery)||Names in Stone|
|See Texas Cemeteries for more information.|
Additional Cemetery Sources
- Lipscomb County Cemeteries, book by LaVaun Kraft. Iinformation on each of the nine Lipscomb County cemeteries: Heart Cemetery, Kiowa Cemetery, View Point Cemetery, Darrouzett Cemetery, Fairview Cemetery, Fairmont Cemetery, Lipscomb Cemetery, St. John's Cemetery, and Higgins Cemetery; each section includes information about the origins of the cemetery with deeds and certificates, an index of the persons buried in the cemetery, a list of the information on each of the headstones in the cemetery, and a list of the veterans buried in the cemetery. Digital version online at The Portal To Texas History.
- 1880 Census for Lipscomb County, census images on line at archive.org; transcription from the TXGenWeb site.
- 1900 Census for Lipscomb County, census images on line at archive.org; transcription from the TXGenWeb site.
- 1910 Census for Lipscomb County, census images on line at archive.org; transcription from the TXGenWeb site.
- 1920 Census for Lipscomb County, census images on line at archive.org; transcription from the TXGenWeb site.
- 1930 Census for Lipscomb County, census images on line at archive.org; transcription from the TXGenWeb site.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death/burial date and place. For general information about Texas denominations, view the Texas Church Records wiki page.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
Local histories are available for Lipscomb County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- A History of Lipscomb County, 1876-1976, by the Lipscomb Historical Survey Committee. Read the book on line at The Portal to Texas History.
- Lipscomb County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- 1861 - 1865 - Texas, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861 - 1865 - Texas, Civil War Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
World War I
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Lipscomb County, Texas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- TX Newspaper Abstracts (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Online Probate Records
- 1800 1990 Texas Probate Records at FamilySearch — images
- 1800–2000 Texas Wills and Probate Records at Ancestry.com — index and images $
Texas tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Texas Taxation.
1846-1910 Texas County Tax Rolls lists FHL films with county tax lists. The lists vary by county and year. Most records are between the years of 1846 - 1910.
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
Online Birth Indexes and Records
- Lipscomb County Births compiled from World War I Civilian Draft Card Registrations, from the TXGenWeb site.
- 1903-1935 Texas, Birth Certificates, 1903-1935 (images and index) - FamilySearch
- 1926-1993 Lipscomb County Birth Records 1926-1993, selected years from the TXGenWeb site.
Online Marriage Indexes and Records
- 1814-1909 and 1966-2011 Texas Marriage Collection 1814-1909 and 1966-2011 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1837-1973 Texas, Marriages, 1837-1973 - FamilySearch record collection
- 1837-1977 Texas, County Marriage Index, 1837-1977 - FamilySearch records collection
- 1837-1977 Texas Select County Marriage Index 1837-1977 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1851-1900 Lipscomb County Marriages 1851-1900 from the TXGenWeb site.
- 1966-2010 Texas, Marriages, 1966-2010 - FamilySearch record collection
Online Death Indexes and Records
- 1890-1976 Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images] Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- 1903-1973 Texas Deaths and Burials 1903-1973 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1903-1982 Texas Death Certificates 1903-1982 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1964-1998 Lipscomb County Deaths 1964-1998 from the TXGenWeb site.
- 1964-1998 Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- 1977-1986 Texas Deaths 1977-1986 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1968-2005 Texas Divorce Records 1968-2005(index)- Hidden Ancestors
- 1968-2010 Texas Divorce Index 1968-2010 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1968-2011 Texas Divorces 1968-2011 at Ancestry.com — index $
Societies and Libraries
Amarillo Genealogical Society
413 East Fourth Street
Amarillo TX 79189
Telephone Number: 806-378-3054
TX-OK Panhandle Genealogical Society
Fifth and Ash
Perryton TX 79070
Telephone Number: 806-435-5801
Pampa Genealogical and Historical Society
430 North Summer Street
Pampa, TX 79065
Hemphill County Genealogical Society
Canadian TX 79014
Wolf Creek Heritage Museum
Lipscomb, Texas 79056
Telephone Number: 806-852-2123
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Lipscomb County TXGenWeb site maps, history and other information for Lipscomb county.
- FamilySearch Catalog The catalog is genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) This catalog is different than the indexed Historical Records.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Lipscomb County, Texas. Page 669 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).