List of District Churches and Chapels Within the Parish of St Mary Whitechapel
Return to the Whitechapel St Mary, Middlesex page.
St Mary Whitechapel had only the three following pre-1900 churches:
- St. Mark's district church, on the Tenter Ground, was erected by the Metropolitan Church-building Society, and consecrated in May, 1839; it is a neat edifice of brick in the early English style, with a square tower surmounted by an octagonal spire, and contains 1200 sittings, of which 500 are free. The living is in the gift of Brasenose College; income, £150.
- St Paul [Dock Street] Whitechapel, an "additional church, of which the first stone was laid at Michaelmas 1845, was erected partly by Her Majesty's Commissioners; it is in the early English style, with a tower at the south-west angle, was completed in 1847, and cost £8000. This is a free church, for mariners, and dedicated to St. Paul."¹
- St Jude, Commercial St Tower Hamlets was built in the year 1845 as a district church.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 543-551. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51398 Date accessed: 18 May 2010.