Little Waltham, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Little Waltham, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Little Waltham, Essex|
St. Martin Little Waltham, Essex
|Poor Law Union||Chelmsford|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1629; 1800|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Waltham (Little) or Little Waltham, is a parish, with a village, in Chelmsford district, Essex; it is 3½ miles N of Chelmsford railway station. It has a post-office under Chelmsford.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Little Waltham, Essex Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|ESSEX = EssexAncestors - (£)|
|FSPRs = England, Essex Parish Registers, 1503-1997 (FamilySearch) - free|
|Little Waltham, Essex Genealogy Online Parish Records|
The Essex Archives has the following church records available:
St. Martin Parish (Church of England)
- Baptisms: 1538-1629, 1633-1945 (online)
- Burials: 1539-1953 (online)
- Marriages 1539-1957 (online), 1957-2003 (originals)
- Bishop's Transcripts (originals or microfilm), lots of gaps
- baptisms 1538-1869
- burials 1539-1868
- marriages (1539-1837)
Little Waltham Congregational Church
- Baptisms: 1803-1837 (National Archives), 1841-1833 (originals)
- Burials: 1823-1837 (National Archives), 1841-1899 (originals)
- Marriages: 1862-1918 (originals)
Family History Library
Little Waltham (Independent) indices
- Bishop's Transcripts (1800-1869)
- Births and baptisms of Independent Church (1803-1837)
- Parish registers for Little Waltham (1538-1875)
- Congregational Church (1844-1933)
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241365.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Little Waltham on GENUKI
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, (1870). Adapted: date accessed 20 May 2013.
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 5 September 2014.
- 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.