Livingston Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Livingston Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Livingston Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||February 10, 1832|
|Address|| 20180 Iowa Street|
Livingston, LA 70754
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Bible Records
- 5.3 Biographies
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Maps
- 5.11 Military
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Probate
- 5.15 Schools
- 5.16 Taxation
- 5.17 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Livingston Parish, Louisiana Record Dates
Livingston Parish Courthouse
20180 Iowa Street
PO Box 427
Livingston, LA 70754
Parish Clerk has marriage, divorce, probate,
court, and land records from 1875 .
- 1832--Livingston Parish was created 10 February 1832 from Baton Rouge, (Old) and Ascension Parishes.
Parish seat: Livingston 
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1875 On October 15, the parish courthouse at Port Vincent burned, apparently destroying the official records.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- Tracking the Homestead Records of a Group of African Americans in Livingston Parish, Louisiana
- Livingston Parish Family Bible Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index to Livingston Parish Biographies (USGenWeb Archives)
- Family Histories of Livingston Parish, Louisiana (USGenWeb Archives)
The following web sites may have additional information on Livingston Parish cemeteries.
- Interment.net Louisiana cemetery records by Parish.
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
|Livingston Parish Census Data|
- Census Records of Livingston Parish, Louisiana (USGenWeb Archives)
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- Louisiana Historical Church Information
- Directory of Churches in Louisiana ~ by city ~ Church Angel
- Index to Livingston Parish Church Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index to Livingston Parish Court Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
- Livingston Parish, Louisiana, Deeds (USGenWeb Archives)
Local histories are available for Livingston Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- Louisiana Museums
- History Topics of Livingston Parish, Louisiana (Genealogy Trails)
- Historical Records of Livingston Parish (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1883 - Livingston Parish Pensioners on the Rolls as of Jan 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
- Livingston Parish Military Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Regiments. Service men in Livingston Parish, Louisiana Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Livingston Parish, Louisiana Genealogy:
- - Siege Train Battalion, Louisiana Artillery (Confederate), Company D
- - Pointe Coupee Artillery, Louisiana (Confederate), Company B
World War I
- The Memorial Tower at LSU, Names From Livingston Parish (USGenWeb Archives)
World War II
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Korean War POW's, KIA's & MIA's. Scroll down to Livingston Parish. (USGenWeb Archives)
- Vietnam War POW's, KIA's & MIA's. Scroll down to Livingston Parish. (USGenWeb Archvies)
- Louisiana Newspaper List ~ listing by name/parish ~ USNPL
- Louisiana Newspaper ~ listing ~ Newslink
- Livingston Parish Newspaper Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Livingston Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Index to Livingston Parish Obituary Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Livingston Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Online Probate Records
- 1756 – 1984 Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry.com Ancestry.com — index and images $
- Livingston Parish School Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- Livingston Parish Vital Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1837–1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Livingston Parish Marriage Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Livingston Parish Marriage Announcements (Genealogy Trails)
Societies and Libraries
Edward Livingston Historical Association
PO Box 67
Livingston, LA 70754-0067
French Settlement Historical Society
French Settlement, LA 70733-9999
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Livingston Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Livingston Parish, LAGenWeb Project, part of the USGenWeb Project
- Livingston Parish, Louisiana, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Livingston Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Livingston Parish, Louisiana, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- Livingston Parish LA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 264-278. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., Livingston Parish, Louisiana p 291 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.