Llan-gan East, Carmarthenshire Genealogy
"LLANGAN (LLAN-GAN), a parish, in the union of NARBERTH, chiefly in the lower division of the hundred of DERLLYS, county of CARMARTHEN, but partly in the hundred of DUNGLEDDY, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 16 miles (W.) from Carmarthen; containing 640 inhabitants, of which number, 603 are in Carmarthenshire, and the remainder in the Pembrokeshire portion. On the banks of the Tâf, in this parish, anciently stood the famous Ty Gwyn ar Dâf, or "the White House on the Tâf," an occasional residence of Hywel Dda, sovereign of all Wales . . . The parish is pleasantly situated on the river Tâf, and intersected by the old Whitland road from Carmarthen to Haverfordwest; it comprehends a large tract of arable and pasture land, the whole of which, with a very small exception, is inclosed and in a good state of cultivation. . . The church, dedicated to St. Canna, is a neat modern edifice, rebuilt in the year 1820, and consisting of a nave and chancel . . . There are two Sunday schools, in which 110 children are taught gratuitously by the dissenters. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).] For more information see Llan-Gan, Carmarthenshire at genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464309.