Llan-gors, Breconshire Genealogy
LLANGORSE (LLAN-GORS), a parish, partly in the hundred of Pencelly, but chiefly in that of Tàlgarth, union and county of Brecknock, South Wales, 6 miles (E. S. E.) from Brecknock; containing the hamlet of Llanywern. The name of this parish, signifying literally "the church of the marsh, or bog," appears to have been derived from its situation on the low banks of an extensive pool, or lake. The parish is separated from the parishes of Llanvihangel-Tàlyllyn and Llandevailog-Tre'r-Graig by the river Llynvi: it is intersected by the turnpike-road leading from Crickhowel through Bwlch to Tàlgarth; and the tramroad from Brecknock to Hay passes through a part of it. The church, dedicated to St. Paulinus, is an ancient structure, with a tower at the western end, surmounted by turrets, and containing six musical bells. There are places of worship for Calvinistic Methodists and Baptists, in each of which a Sunday school is also held.
Also known as LLANGORSE, a parish in the hundred of Talgarth, county Brecon, 6 miles E. of Brecknock, its post town, and 7 N.W. of Crickhowell. It is situated on the river Llynvi, within a short distance of Llangorse Lake, sometimes called Llyn Savaddan, which abounds with fish. The lake is about 5 miles in circumference, and ranks as the second lake in Wales after Bala. The tram-road to Hay passes through the parish. For more information see Llangors, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464301.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 36-47. Adapted. Date accessed: 24 January 2014.