Llan-y-wern, Breconshire Genealogy
LLANYWERN (LLAN-Y-WERN), a parish, in the hundred of Pencelly, union and county of Brecknock, South Wales, 3½ miles (E.) from Brecknock. The name of this place, properly Llan-y-Gwern, signifying "the church of the alder grove," appears to have been derived from the situation of the village in a tract of moist ground, favourable to the growth of alder-trees. The parish, which is of small extent, is bounded on the north by the parish of Llanvillo, on the south by that of Llanhamllêch, on the east by that of Llanvihangel-Tàlyllyn, and on the west by Brecknock. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small ancient edifice, possessing no architectural details of importance.
LLANYWERN, a parish in the hundred of Penkelly, county Brecon, 4 miles E. of Brecknock, its post town, and 4 S.W. of Talgarth. This was a demesne of Brecon priory, to which it was given by Bernard Newmarch. The village consists of a few farmhouses.For more information see Llan-y-wern at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464300.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 165-172. Adapted. Date accessed: 24 January 2014.