Llanammwlch, Breconshire Genealogy
LLANHAMLLÊCH, or LLAN-AMLLÊCH (LLAN-AMMWLCH), a parish, consisting of two divisions, Lower and Upper, in the hundred of Pencelly, union and county of Brecknock, South Wales, 3 miles (S. E. by E.) from Brecknock containing the hamlets of Llanhamllêch and Llêchvaen. The name of this parish, signifying the "church on many flat stones," is in allusion to the strata of the rock on which the church is built, and the fragments of slate with which the churchyard abounds. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, and supposed to have been originally founded by one of the Walbeoffes, was, with the exception of the old tower, rebuilt by a parochial rate in 1802, and is a neat plain edifice. There is a place of worship in Llêchvaen for Calvinistic Methodists, with a Sunday school held in it.
Usually spelled Llanhamlach. LLANHAMLACH, a parish in the hundred of Penkelly, county Brecon, 3 miles S.E. of Brecknock, its post town, and 9 N.E. of Crickhowell. It is situated on the river Usk, and near the line of the Roman road Via Julia Montana. The Brecon canal passes through the parish, which includes the hamlet of Llecfaen. For more information, see Llanhamlach, Breconshire, at Genuki.org.uk.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464300.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 56-69. Adapted. Date accessed: 24 January 2014.