Llanbedr Ystrad Yw, Breconshire Genealogy
LLANBEDR (LLAN-BEDR), a parish, in the union and hundred of Crickhowel, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 1½ mile (N. E. by E.) from Crickhowel. This parish, both in ancient writings and by modern usage, is generally distinguished by the adjunct Ystradwy, or Ystrad-Iw. Llanbedr, which is famous for its bold scenery, is situated on the Gloucester and Milford Haven road, and bounded on the north by Tàlgarth, on the south by Llangeney, on the east by Partrishow, and on the west by Crickhowel. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a very ancient structure, consisting of two aisles and a chancel, with a square embattled tower at the western end.
Llanbedr Ystrad Yw Church is in the Diocese of Swansea and Brecon, in the community of The Vale of Grwyney in the county of Powys. Llanbedr is in the old commote of Ystrad Yw, and is sometimes alluded to with the suffix to distinguish it from villages of the same name. There is little to suggest that this is an early medieval foundation, yet despite the fact that the Liber Landavensis recorded the consecration of a church here in 1060 it is conceivable that the site goes back to a much earlier time. For more information see Llanbedr Ystrad Yw at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464299.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 478-493. Adapted. Date accessed: 24 January 2014.