Llanddewi Aberarth, Ceredigion

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

WalesGotoarrow.pngCeredigionGotoarrow.pngParishes of Historic CardiganshireGotoarrow.pngLlanddewi Aberarth

A guide to genealogy in Llanddewi Aberarth, with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps; etc.

Llanddewi Aberarth is a village and ecclesiastical parish in Ceredigion, Wales.

Before 1974 the village was in the historic county of Cardiganshire and, between 1974 and 1996 in the County of Dyfed. In 1996 it became part of the modern county of Ceredigion.

History

LLANDEWY-ABERARTH (LLAN-DDEWI-ABER-ARTH), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of ILAR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 13 miles (N.W. by N.) from Lampeter. The name of this parish, which comprises about three thousand acres, is derived from the dedication of its church, and its distinguishing adjunct from its situation near the mouth of the small river Arth, which here discharges its waters into the bay of Cardigan. This parish is also watered by the Aëron and from the vale through which this river winds the greater part of its surface presents a hilly aspect. A chapel, dedicated to St. Alban, was erected in 1809. There are places of worship for Calvinistic Methodists and Independents.[1]

For more information see Llanddewi Aberarth at Genuki.

Records

Civil Registration

Church Records

Census Records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464302.


Probate Records

Maps and Gazetteers

Web Sites

References

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833 Adapted. Date accessed: 17 January 2014.