Llandefalley, Breconshire Genealogy
LLANDEVALLEY, a parish, in the hundred of Tàlgarth, union and county of Brecknock, South Wales, 7 miles (N. E.) from Brecknock. The village is pleasantly situated about a mile to the north-west of the turnpike-road leading from London to Brecknock, through Hay. The church, dedicated, according to some accounts, to St. Teilaw, and according to others to St. Matthew, is an ancient structure, with a tower at the western end, containing five bells, and was formerly one of the finest churches in the county. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists.
Also spelled Llandyfalle, Llandefalle. NORTH AND SOUTH LLANDEFALLEY, a parish in the hundred of Talgarth, county Brecon, 5 miles N.E. of Brecknock, its post town, and 6 S.W. of Glasbury. The parish forms two divisions, known as North and South Llandefalley. The village, which is considerable, is situated a little to the S.W. of the river Wye. For furhter information see Llandyfalle, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 511-524. Adapted. Date accessed: 25 January 2014.