Llandingad, Carmarthenshire Genealogy
LLANDINGAT (LLAN-DINGAD), a parish, in the union of LLANDOVERY, partly in the higher division of the hundred of PERVERTH, and partly in the hundred of CAYO, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES; comprising the market-town of Llandovery. This parish, which takes its name from the dedication of its church, is pleasantly situated near the confluence of the rivers Brân and Gwytherig, which, uniting their streams a little above the town of Llandovery, fall into the river Towy. The surface is for the most part undulated; and, with the exception of the summits of a few of the hills, the lands are generally inclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The environs are enlivened by numerous handsome seats, of which the principal within the parish are, Llwyn Brân and Velindre. The church, dedicated to St. Dingat, is an ancient building, consisting of two spacious aisles, with a tower, but presents no interesting architectural details: it was once destroyed by the Norman invaders of this part of Wales. The church of Llanvair-ar-y-Bryn is situated within this parish, about a quarter of a mile from Llandovery, and about a mile distant from its own parish. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and Calvinistic Methodists, all in the town of Llandovery.
For more information see Llandingad, Carmarthenshire at genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464312.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 524-536. Adapted. Date accessed: 15 January 2014.