Llandyfaelog Fach, Breconshire Genealogy
LLANDEVAILOG-VÂCH (LLANDEFAELOG-FÂCH), a parish, in the hundred of Merthyr-Cynog, union and county of Brecknock, South Wales, 2¼ miles (N. by W.) from Brecknock; composed of the Upper and Lower divisions, the former of which constitutes the chapelry of Llanvihangel-Vechan. This parish derives its name from the dedication of its church, and is distinguished by its adjunct from Llandevailog-Tre'r-Graig, in the same county. It is pleasantly situated on the river Honddû, and on the old turnpike-road from Brecknock to Builth, which runs for nearly four miles through the parish over the Eppynt hills. The church, dedicated to St. Tyvaelog, a dark, damp, and greatly dilapidated edifice, was rebuilt in the year 1831. The chapel of Llanvihangel-Vechan is situated about three miles to the north of the church, on the road to Builth. There are places of worship for Independents' in the Higher division, and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists in the Lower division, of the parish; also three Sunday schools.
Also spelled Llandefailot Fach. Llandefaelog Fach Church is in the Diocese of Swansea and Brecon, in the community of Honddu Isaf in the county of Powys. For more information see Llandyfaelog Fach, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464300.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 511-524. Adapted. Date accessed: 25 January 2014.