Llaneigon, Breconshire Genealogy
LLANIGON (LLAN-IGON), a parish, in the union of Hay, hundred of Tàlgarth, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 2 miles (S. S. W.) from Hay; and containing the township of Glynvâch. It derives its name from the dedication of its church either to Eigen, a female saint, or to Eigion, the son of Caw, a saint who flourished in the sixth century. The parish is situated on the turnpike-road leading from Hay to Tàlgarth. The church is a spacious and lofty edifice, but not distinguished by any architectural details of importance, and is situated on a gentle eminence, sheltered on one side by the hill above Penyrwrlodd, and on the other by an abrupt eminence called Wènallt. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists.
Usually spelled Llanigon. LLANIGON, a parish in the hundred of Talgarth, county Brecon, 2 miles S. of Hay, its post town, and 5 N.E. of Talgarth. It is situated near the banks of the river Severn, and includes the hamlets of Glynfach and Twyny-Bedda. For more information see Llanigon, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464301.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 69-75. Adapted. Date accessed: 25 January 2014.