Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll, Anglesey Genealogy
LLANVAIR-PWLLGWYNGYLL (LLAN-FAIR-PWLL-GWYNGYLL), a parish, in the union of Bangor and Beaumaris, hundred of Tyndaethwy, county of Anglesey, North Wales, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Bangor. The name of this parish is derived from the dedication of its church to St. Mary, and the distinguishing adjunct from its position nearly opposite to a whirlpool in the Menai strait, formed by the Swelley rocks, which rages with impetuous violence, and of which the term "Pwll Gwyngyll" is emphatically descriptive. The church has "a circular apse at the eastern end; and hence it may be inferred that the chancel, at least, is a portion of the original building erected here before the Anglo-Norman conquest of the country, and before that universal re-edification of the churches of Anglesey which took place in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries." There are places of worship for Calvinistic Methodists, Wesleyan Methodists, and Independents.
LLANFAIR PWLLGWYNGYLL, a parish in the hundred of Tyndaethwy, county Anglesey, 5 miles S.W. of Beaumaris, and 3 from Bangor, its post town. It is situated on the western coast of Menai Strait, in the vicinity of the eddy known as the Swelly Rocks whirlpool. The latter half of the name of this place signifies the "raging pool." The village is situated on the turnpike road near the line of the Holyhead railway, which has 4 station here. For more information see Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464298.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1846). Adapted. Date accessed: 22 Aug 2014.