Llangadwaladr, Anglesey Genealogy
LLANGADWALADR (LLAN-GADWALADR), a parish, in the hundred of Malltraeth, union and county of Anglesey, North Wales, 7 miles (S. W.) from Llangevni. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Cadwaladr, is situated on the road leading from Aberfraw to Llangevni, and on that from the former town to Carnarvon. The church was originally called Eglwys Ael, but obtained the name of Llangadwaladr on its being rebuilt about the year 650 by Cadwaladr, the last of the Welsh Kings of Britain, whose grandfather Cadvan, or Catamanus, had been buried here. The present church, chiefly in the decorated and later English styles, is an elegant structure, fifty-two feet long and sixteen wide, containing about sixty sittings. There is a place of worship for Independents.
LLANGADWALADR, (or Eglwysael), a parish in the hundred of Malltraeth, county Anglesey, 2 miles E. of Aberf-Fraw, its post town, 4 N.W. of Newborough, and 1 mile from the Bodorgan railway station. It is situated within a short distance of the S. coast. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. For more information see Llangadwaladr, Anglesey at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1846). Adapted. Date accessed: 22 Aug 2014.