Llangatwg, Breconshire Genealogy
LLANGATTOCK (LLAN-GATWG), a parish, in the union and hundred of Crickhowel, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 1 mile (S. S. W.) from Crickhowel. This parish, which forms a part of the beautiful vale of Crickhowel, derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Catwg, or Cadoc the Wise, an eminent British saint, who flourished in the sixth century. It is situated on the southern bank of the river Usk. The church is an ancient structure, in the decorated style of English architecture, with a remarkably strong embattled tower at the west end. There are places of worship for Calvinistic Methodists, Primitive Methodists, Wesleyans, and Independents.
Also spelled Llangatock. LLANGATTOCK, a parish in the hundred of Crickhowoll, county Brecon, 1 mile W. of Crickhowell, its post town, and 11 miles S.E. of Brecknock. It is situated on the banks of the river Usk, opposite the town of Crickhowell, a bridge connecting the two parishes. The Brecon canal passes through this parish, which includes the parcels of Penallt, Prisk, and Kille. Brynmawr parish was formed out of Llangatwg and Llanelli parishes in 1875. For more information see Llangatwg, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 24-36. Adapted. Date accessed: 28 January 2014.