Llangwyllog, Anglesey Genealogy
LLANGWILLOG (LLAN-GWILLOG), a parish, partly in the hundred of Llyvon, partly in that of Menai, and partly in that of Malltraeth, union and county of Anglesey, North Wales, 3½ miles (N. W.) from Llangevni. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Cwyllog, a female saint, who flourished in the middle of the sixth century, is pleasantly situated nearly in the centre of the island. The church, situated in that part of the parish which is in the hundred of Malltreath, was originally founded in the year 605: the present edifice, which is remarkably well built, measures thirty-eight feet by eighteen, and has an ancient and curious chapel at the west end of the nave. There are places of worship for Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists.
LLANGWYLLOG, a parish in the hundred of Menai, county Anglesey, 2½ miles N.W. of Llangefni, 3 S.E. of Llanerchymedd, and 2 from Gwindy, its post town. It is situated on the river Cefni. The village consists of a few farmhouses.For more information see Llangwyllog, Anglesey at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464296.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1846). Adapted. Date accessed: 28 Aug 2014.