Llangynog, Breconshire Genealogy
LLANGYNOG (LLAN-GYNOG), a parish, in the union and hundred of Builth, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 3½ miles (S. S. W.) from Builth. It derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Cynog, an eminent British saint, who suffered martyrdom about the close of the fifth century. The parish is situated in the northern portion of the county, on the turnpike-road leading from Brecknock to Builth. The church, an ancient, mean edifice, possessing no claim to architectural notice, stands a little eastward from the mountain road between Brecknock and Builth, on the brow of the Eppynt hills, in a very bleak situation, sheltered only by some larch and fir trees by which the churchyard is surrounded. It is a remarkably small church, measuring only thirtyone feet and a half, by seventeen feet.
LLANGYNOG, a parish in the hundred of Builth, county Brecon, 3 miles S.W. of Builth, its post town, 4 S.E. of Llangammarch, and 11 from Brecon. It is situated at the base of the Mynydd Epynt mountains. There is no village, only a few farmhouses. On the MIs page of the Powys Archives website this church is shown as 'demolished' while the Church in Wales website linked the modern Llangynog parish with Llanddewi'r Cwm parish. For more information see Llangynog, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 56-69. Adapted. Date accessed: 28 January 2014.