Llaniestyn, Anglesey Genealogy
LLANIESTYN (LLAN-IESTYN), a parish, in the union of Bangor and Beaumaris, partly in the hundred of Tyndaethwy, and partly within the liberties of the borough of Beaumaris, county of Anglesey, North Wales, 3½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Beaumaris. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Iestyn or Iestin, son of Geraint, is situated nearly in the centre of the promontory separating Beaumaris Roads from the Irish Sea. The church was granted in 1243, by Prince Llewelyn, to the priory that he had recently founded at Llanvaes, to which establishment it belonged at the Dissolution. The present building is for the most part of the fifteenth century; it is one of the plainest churches in the island of Anglesey.
LLANIESTYN, a parish in the hundred of Tyndaethwy, county Anglesey, 3 miles N.W. of Beaumaris, and N.E. of Llangefni. Gwindy is its post town. It lies a little to the E. of Red Wharfe Bay, or as it is locally called, Traeth Coch. For more information see Llaniestyn, Anglesey at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464298.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1846). Adapted. Date accessed: 28 Aug 2014.