Llanlleon-vel, Breconshire Genealogy
LLANLLEONVEL (LLAN-LLEON-FOEL), a parish, in the union and hundred of Builth, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 7 miles (W. by S.) from Builth; containing the hamlet of Gwravog. This place, the name of which signifies the "church of Lleon the Bald," is situated in a hilly district in the northwestern portion of the county, and on the rivers Irvon and Dulas. The church, the dedication of which is unknown, is a small edifice, pleasantly situated on a gentle eminence on the north-western bank of the river Dulas, about a mile north of the high road from Builth to Llandovery. There are places of worship for Baptists and Independents, and some Sunday schools.
Also spelled Llanllywenfel. LLAN-LLEON-VEL, a parish in the hundred of Builth, county Brecon, 2 miles N. of Llangammarch, and 6 W. of Builth, its post town. It is situated on the rivers Dulas and Irvon, and includes the township of Gwarafog. Near here runs the Roman road Caer Sws, a branch road of the Sam Helen connecting Bannium with Deva and Maridunum. For more information see Llanllywenfel, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464299.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 69-75. Adapted. Date accessed: 29 January 2014.