A guide to genealogy in Llanrhystud, with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps; etc.
LLANRHYSTID (LLAN-RHYSTYD), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of ILAR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 9 miles (S. by W.) from Aberystwith, on the road to Cardigan. This place, though at present of little importance, has been distinguished in history from a remote period of antiquity. In 987, its church was demolished by the Danes, in one of their descents upon South Wales. The castle of Llanrhystid called also Dinerth castle, was, in 1080, at which period it belonged to lestyn ab Gwrgan, Prince of Glamorgan, sacked by Rhys, Prince of South Wales. The parish is situated on the shore of Cardigan bay, and bounded on the north by the parish of Llanddeiniol, on the south by that of Llansantfraid, and on the east by Llangwyryvon. The church, dedicated to St. Rhystyd, occupies an elevated situation above the village, and is of considerable antiquity. There are places of worship for Calvinistic Methodists, and Baptists, a day school and five Sunday schools.
For more information see Llanrhystud at Genuki.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464302.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Llanrhystud at Vision of Britain
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 85-98. Adapted. Date accessed: 21 January 2014.