"LLANRWST (LLAN-RWST), a market town and parish, comprising the township of Gwydir... in the hundred of Nantconway, county of Carnarvon, but chiefly in the Uchdulas division of the hundred of Isdulas, county of Denbigh, 20 miles (W. by S.) from Denbigh, 26 (W. by N.) from Ruthin, and 217 (N.W. by W.) from London, containing 3601 inhabitants. This town is of very great antiquity, and in the year 952 was the scene of an important battle in the contests maintained at this period, for the sovereignty of Wales, between the sons of Hywel Dda and those of Edwal Voel... The parish is upwards of forty miles in circumference. ... The church, dedicated to St. Grwst, Rhystys, or Restiututus, is a small edifice, situated close to the margin of the river. ... The present structure is supposed, from its style of architecture, to have been erected early in the fifteenth century. Adjoining it on the south side is the Gwydir chapel, a handsome square castellated edifice. ... At Garthgarmon, three miles distant, there is a chapel of ease; and at Gwydir, half a mile off, is a private chapel belonging to Lord Willoughby de Eresby, There are in the parish eleven places of worship for dissenters, of which four are in the town, belonging repectively to the Baptists, Independents, and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists, each, except the Wesleyan chapel, having a burial-ground attached." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833, Samuel Lewis]
For more information on Llanrwst see: Llanrwst at Genuki
|before 31 March 1974||Denbighshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Gwynedd|
|from 1 April 1996||Conwy|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464321.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Llanrwst Parish Church at Clwyd FHS