Llansaintffraed, Breconshire Genealogy
LLANSANTFRAID (LLAN-SANT-FFREAD), a parish, in the hundred of Pencelly, union and county of Brecknock, South Wales, 4 miles (S. E.) from Brecknock. It derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Bridget, or Bride, otherwise called St. Fread, an Irish female saint, who appears to have been so highly venerated in Wales. The parish is pleasantly situated on the river Usk, and intersected by the turnpike-road from Brecknock to Crickhowel and Abergavenny. The church was rebuilt in 1690, and consists of two low aisles, with a cupola at the west end, and is situated close to the road side. There is a place of worship for Independents.
Also spelled Llansanffraid, Llansantffraed.LLANSAINTFFRAED, a parish in the hundred of Penkelly, county Brecon, 6 miles S.E. of Brecknock, its post town, and 7 N.W. of Crickhowell. It is situated on the river Usk and the Roman Via Julia Montana. The Brecon canal intersects the parish, which includes the village of Skethiog, formerly a possession of the princes of Powys. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. David's, value £295. The church is dedicated to St. Fread, or Fried. For more information, see Llansaintffraed, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464300.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 85-98. Adapted. Date accessed: 29 January 2014.