Llansanffraid Glyn Ceiriog, Wrexham
For other places with similar names see: Llansanffraidcommunity and ecclesiastical parish in the rural Ceiriog Valley area of the County Borough of Wrexham in Wales. The village is more commonly known simply as Glyn Ceiriog.
The parish takes it's name from St. Ffraid (English: St. Bridget) and, to distinguish it from other parishes of the same name, its location, Glyn Ceiriog (English: Ceiriog Valley), has been added.
The parish comprises the townships of Llafar Ucha, Llafar Isa, Nantir Ucha and Nantir Isa.
The parish church of St. Ffraid's date back to the 13th century and was at one time a Chapelry of Llangollen. It was rebuilt around 1790.
"LLANSANTFRAID-GYLNN-CERIOG, A parish in the hundred of Chirk, county of Denbigh; 3 miles (S.S.W.) from Llangollen, containing 543 inhabitants. This parish,as the name implies, is situated on the river Ceiriog; the village occupies a low and very retired situation, entirely encompassed by lofty mountains. It contains slate of excellent quality and in abundance, in procuring which some extensive quarries are now being worked with much profit to the proprietors. ..... The manufacture of flannel is carried on to a considerable extent; and on the stream of the Ceiriog are two fulling mills, to which extensive bleaching-grounds are attached. ... The church, dediecated to St. Bridget, has been recently rebuilt in the Grecian style of architecture: it is a handsome edifice with a small square towner, and is situated on an eminence at some distance from the village. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyan Methodists." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833, Samuel Lewis]
For more information see Llansanffraid Glyn Ceiriog, Denbighshire at genuki.org.uk
|before 31 March 1974||Denbighshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Wrexham|
Births, marriages and deaths in Llansanffraid Glyn Ceiriog are recorded in the GRO indexes as:
|1 Jul 1837 - 1880||Corwen||Corwen|| XXVII (1837-51)|
|1880 - 2 Oct 1935||Llangollen||Corwen||11b (1852-1935)|
|2 Oct 1935 - 1974||Llangollen||Wrexham|| 11b (1935-1946)|
The following Llansanffraid Glyn Ceiriog Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Records Office in Ruthin:
There are no official records available on the IGI for Llansanffraid Glyn Ceiriog parish.
Nonconformist Church Records
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464320.
The parish of Llansanffraid Glyn Ceiriog formed part of the Corwen Registrar's District.
|1841||HO107/1401-13 folios 1-46|
|1851||HO107/2509 folios 591-615|
|1861||RG9/4313 folios 41-63|
|1871||RG10/5684 folios 9-31|
|1881||RG11/5541 folios 94-115|
|1891||RG12/4638 folios 87-111|
Poor Law Union Records
The parish of Llansanffraid Glyn Ceiriog formed part of the Corwen Union, which was created on 13 December 1836. The workhouse was built at Corwen but not completed until April 1840. The records for the Corwen Union are held at the Meirionydd Record Office in Dolgellau.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Vision of Britain - Llansanffraid Glyn Ceiriog
- Geograph - Llansanffraid Glyn Ceiriog
- Ordnance Survey map of Glyn Ceiriog