Llanynys, Breconshire Genealogy
LLANYNIS (LLAN-YNYS), a parish, in the union and hundred of Builth, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 3½ miles (W. by S.) from Builth. This place derives a considerable degree of interest from its proximity to the scene of Llewelyn's death. The parish is situated on the road leading from Builth to Carmarthen and Llandovery over the Eppynt hills, and is bounded on the north by the river Irvon, and on the south by a rivulet called Cniddon or Knithon. The church, situated in a fine fertile plain on the south bank of the Irvon, was rebuilt in 1806, and is a neat edifice consisting of a nave and chancel, measuring seventy feet in length and twenty-four in breadth.
LLANYNYS, a parish in the hundred of Builth, county Brecon, 3 miles W. of Builth, its post town, and 4 N.E. of Llangammarch. It is situated on the river Irvon or Irion. There is no village, only a few farmhouses. A great part of the surface is mountainous and comparatively barren. For more information see Llanynys, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 165-172. Adapted. Date accessed: 29 January 2014.