Until 1 April 1923, the village was in a completely detached portion of the commote of Creuddyn in Caernarfonshire but in 1923 this area was incorporated into historic Denbighshire. Between 1874 and 1996 it was part of the County of Clwyd and in 1996 it became part of the modern County Borough of Conwy.
"LLYSFAEN, a parish in Conway district, Carnai on; on the coast, and on the Chester and Holyhead railway, contiguous to Denbighshire, near Llandulas r. station, and 3 miles W of Abergele. It contains the townships of Isallt, Isyffordd, Pant, Penmain, and Rhwngyddnyfordd; and it has a post office under Abergele, Denbighshire. Acres, 1,900; of which 106 are water. Real property, £3,727; of which £1,509 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851,771; in 1861,908. Houses, 206. Llysfaen Hill is about 700 feet high; commands a magnificent view; and was crowned by a semaphore telegraph sta tion, on the line from Holyhead to Liverpool. Limestone is very largely worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £250.* Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. There are a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, and charities £4". [John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72.)
For more information on Llysfaen, see Llysfaen at Genuki
|before 31 May 1923||Caernarfonshire|
|1 Apr 1923 - 31 Mar 1974||Denbighshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Conwy|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464314.