Logie-Easter, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland
Parish # 77
This is a guide to the history and major genealogical records of Scotland as they pertain to the parish of Logie-Easter. To learn more about how to use these records to search for your ancestors, go to the Scotland: Research Strategies.
LOGIE EASTER, a parish, in the county of Ross and Cromarty, 5 miles (S. S. W.) from Tain. The name of Logie, so frequently applied to designate Scottish parishes, is derived from the Gaelic word laggie, which signifies a "hollow," and is used in the present instance in reference to the site of the first church, the ruins of which are still to be seen. The church, which is an excellent and commodious building, capable of accommodating 700 persons with sittings, is situated on Chapel hill. The members of the Free Church have a place of worship.
The name Logie is of Gaelic origin, (Laggie) signifying a hollow; and in this case it seems to have been applied to the spot on which the ruins of the first Presbyterian church in the parish are still to be seen. It is called Logie Easter, to distinguish it from Logie Wester, which was situated on the banks of the Conon, but is now united to the parish of Urquhart or Ferintosh. The parish is bounded by Kilmuir Easter on the south; by Nigg on the east; on the north-east by Fearn; and Tain on the north; and by Edderton on the west. Logie Easter lies partly in the county of Ross, and partly in Cromarty.
There are no market-towns in the parish.
The whole parish is in possession of four landed proprietors, Sir Charles Ross of Balnagown, Bart.; Hugh Rose Ross of Cromarty; the Honorable Mrs. Hay Mackenzie of Cromarty (patroness of the parish;) and Charles C. Ross of Shandwick.
Agriculture is carried on in the parish according to the most approved modern system. There is more wheat raised in the parish than any other grain, and the quality is very superior.
The population in 1811 was 928, and by 1831 it was 934.
The parish church is now situated in the most convenient place for the accommodation of the people, with the exception of Scotsburn, on which some families live at the distance of about six miles, with very bad access, especially in winter. There is no Government church, chapel of ease, nor dissenting church in the parish. There are a few Seceders that came some time ago from the parishes of Nigg and Edderton. There is a parish register of marriages and baptisms kept regularly by the session-clerk.
This account was written in 1836.
Source: New Statistical Account of Scotland for Logie-Easter, FHL book 941 B4sa, series 2, vol. 14.
The New Statistical Account of Scotland (pub. 1834-45) offers uniquely rich and detailed parish reports for the whole of Scotland, covering a vast range of topics including history, agriculture, education, trades, religion and social customs. The reports, written by the parish ministers, are available online at http://edina.ac.uk/stat-acc-scot/. Click on ‘Browse scanned pages’ then search the parish you are interested in. Also available at the Family History Library.
A census is a count and description of the population, taken by the government, arranged by locality and by household. Read more about census records.
Here is a list of the Family History Library microfilm numbers for the census records of Logie-Easter as well as the library numbers for any surname indexes available:
|| FHL Film Number
|| Surname Indexes|
|| 6037266 (6 fiche)|
|| 6086658 (4 fiche)|
The 1901 census of Scotland is indexed on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. To use it, you must register and pay a small access fee. All available censuses, 1841-1901, are indexed on this website. It may be easier for you to pay to use the website rather than access the separate indexes through the library.
The Established Church of Scotland was Presbyterian. Read more about church records.
Here are the pre-1855 records that exist for this parish.
Established Church—Old Parochial Registers
|Record Type||Years Covered||FHL Film Numbers|
|Birth:||1775-1854||0990657 item 1|
|Marriage:||1786-1854||0990657 item 1|
Condition of Original Registers—
Index: For an index to these records, see Scotland’s People website, a pay-for-view website. The Scottish Church Records Index is also still available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City. Some records may also be indexed in other FamilySearch collections for Scotland.
Births: Entries are rather irregular prior to 1781.
Marriages: There is only one entry, 1803, July 1792–December 1822.
Source: Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland, by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970. British Book 941 K23b.
Established Church—Kirk Session Records
The Kirk session was the court of the parish. The session was made up of the minister and the land owners and business men of the parish, chosen to serve on the session. The Kirk session dealt with moral issues, minor criminal cases, matters of the poor and education, matters of discipline, and the general concerns of the parish. Kirk session records may also mention births, marriages, and deaths.
Here is a list of the surviving Kirk session records for this parish:
Register of Births and Baptisms 1777–1815 - damaged
Minutes and Accounts 1779–1934
Note:Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH2/702.
Nonconformist Church Records
A nonconformist church is any church that is not the Established church. Read more about nonconformity in Scotland in the article on the Scotland Church Records Union List.
Logie-Easter Free Church
The minister of the parish and his congregation "came out" in 1843. A church was built in 1844 and a manse in 1855.
Membership: 1855, 290; 1900, 76.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. Film #918572. More details may be given in the source, including ministers.
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/907.
Civil Registratgion Records
Government or civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths (also called statutory records) began on January 1, 1855 in Scotland. Each parish has a registrar's office and large cities have several. The records are created by the registrars and copies are sent to the General Register Office in Edinburgh. Annual indexes are then created for the records for the whole country.
See the article on Scotland Civil Registration for more information and to access the records.
Logie-Easter was under the probate jurisdiction of the Commissary Court of Ross until 1823, and since then has been under the Sheriff's Court of Ross & Cromarty. Probate records for 1513- 1901 are indexed online at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. You must register on the website but use of the index to probate records, called 'Wills & Testaments,' is free. You may then purchase a copy of the document or, if the document is before 1823, it will be on microfilm at the Family History Library. To find the microfilm numbers, search in the library catalog for the 'Place-names' of Ross & Cromarty and the subject of 'Probate records.' Then click on the link to the records of the Commissariat of Ross.
The library also has some post-1823 probate records for Ross & Cromarty. Look in the library catalog for the 'Place-names' of Ross & Cromarty and the subjects of 'Probate Records' and 'Probate Records - Indexes.'
Read more about Scotland Probate Records.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1846), pp. 499-514. Adapted. Date accessed: 1 August 2014.
Return to Ross & Cromarty parish list.