Long Marton, Westmorland Genealogy
Guide to Long Marton, Westmorland ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Long Marton, Westmorland|
|Poor Law Union||East Ward|
|Registration District||East Ward|
|Parish registers: 1586|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1665|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Westmorland Record Office|
MARTON, LONG (St. Margaret), a parish, in East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 4 miles (N. N. W.) from Appleby; containing, with the townships of Brampton and Knock. A place of worship for Wesleyans was erected in 1816. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
In December 1787 the Westmorland Court of Quarter Sessions commissioned a population survey of the county. Parish constables were ordered to send in returns listing the names and occupations of the members of every household in their constablewick. This census is found in Vital Statistics, The Westmorland "Census' of 1787. This book is available at the Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah. The library call number is British Ref. Area 942.88 X2v.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Westmorland Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 269-271. Date accessed: 02 August 2012.