Louisiana, United States Genealogy
|Louisiana Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Louisiana became the 18th state to join the United States on April 30, 1812. Louisiana was located in the southern region of the United States. Louisiana was formed from the Territory of Orleans. The U.S. state of Louisiana is divided into 64 parishes (French: paroisses) in the same way that 48 other states of the United States are divided into counties. The State Capital is Baton Rouge. 
Getting Started with Louisiana Research
Links to articles on getting started with Louisiana research.
Louisiana Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Louisiana research.
Louisiana Clickable Map
Many genealogy records are kept on the parish level in Lousiana. Click on a parish below to go to the county Wiki article listing more information.
Louisiana Migration Routes
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in resourcing your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records - databases and record images on FamilySearch
- Family History Center locator map
- Cyndi's List - Louisiana genealogy sites on the internet
- Louisiana Genealogy Trails - collection of transcribed data for the state of Louisiana
- Access Genealogy – Genealogy guide for Louisiana
- Ancestorhunt.com - resources for Louisiana genealogy research
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness - Guide to Ancestry and Family Tree Records for Louisiana
- Louisiana Research Outline – Original Family History Library research outline; contains many out of date links
- Every Name Index
- New Orleans Notarial Archives
- Wikipedia contributors, "Louisiana " in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana (accessed 15 March 2016).
- Wikipedia contributors, "List of US States by Date of Admission," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_date_of_admission_to_the_Union, accessed 08/18/2016.