Lundie and Fowlis, Angus, Scotland Genealogy
This is a guide to the history and major genealogical records of Scotland as they pertain to the parish of Lundie and Fowlis. To learn more about how to use these records to search for your ancestors, go to the Scotland: Research Strategies.
LUNDIE and FOWLIS, two districts, constituting a parish, the former in the county of Forfar, and the latter in the county of Perth; containing the hamlet of Kirk, 6 miles (N. W. by W.) from Dundee. Of these two ancient parishes, united by a decree of the High Commissioners in 1618, Lundie derives its name, in the Gaelic Linn-De, signifying, "the pool of God," from a very extensive lake which formed its chief feature: the other district, of which no etymology is known, is often distinguished by the adjunct Easter from the parish of Fowlis Wester, in the same county. The church of Lundie is a plain neat structure in good repair, and contains 330 sittings. The church of Fowlis is a very ancient and beautiful structure, having been erected about the year 1142. It is a remarkably fine specimen of the richest style of Norman architecture, in the most perfect state of preservation, and abounding in interesting details: there are about 300 sittings.
The New Statistical Account of Scotland (pub. 1834-45) offers uniquely rich and detailed parish reports for the whole of Scotland, covering a vast range of topics including history, agriculture, education, trades, religion and social customs. The reports, written by the parish ministers, are available online at http://edina.ac.uk/stat-acc-scot/. Click on ‘Browse scanned pages’ then search the parish reports for your parish of interest. Also available at the Family History Library.
A census is a count and description of the population, taken by the government, arranged by locality and by household. Read more about census records.
Here is a list of the Family History Library microfilm numbers for the census records of Lundie and Flowlis, as well as the library numbers for any surname indexes available:
|| FHL Film Number
|| Surname Indexes|
|| 6086580 (12 fiche)|
The 1901 census of Scotland is indexed on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. To use it, you must register and pay a small access fee. All available censuses, 1841-1901, are indexed on this website. It may be easier for you to pay to use the website rather than access the separate indexes through the library.
The Established Church of Scotland was Presbyterian. Read more about church records.
Here are the pre-1855 records that exist for this parish.
Established Church—Old Parochial Registers
|Record Type||Years Covered||FHL Film Number|
Condition of Original Registers—
Indexed: For an index to these records, see Scotland’s People website, a pay-for-view website. The Scottish Church Records Index is also still available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City. Some records may also be indexed in other FamilySearch collections for Scotland.
Births: Birth records are blank March 1670–January 1672, September 1678–August 1684, and September 1698–July 1701. Mothers' names are recorded in the entries from 1701.
Marriages: Marriage records are blank August 1678–June 1685 and August 1698–December 1701. There are no entries for 1735 and only three entries December 1789–July 1794.
Deaths: Death records are blank May 1693–June 1701. From 1701–1736 there are only Mortcloth Dues. The record is blank 1736–1746, when the record of deaths and burials is resumed. The records for the period 1701–1783 appear to be for the parish of Lundie.
Source: Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland, by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970. British Book 941 K23b.
Established Church—Kirk Session Records
The Kirk session was the court of the parish. The session was made up of the minister and the land owners and business men of the parish, chosen to serve on the session. The Kirk session dealt with moral issues, minor criminal cases, matters of the poor and education, matters of discipline, and the general concerns of the parish. Kirk session records may also mention births, marriages, and deaths.
Here is a list of the surviving Kirk session records for this parish:
Minutes 1685–1698, 1797–1861
Fowlis: 1748–1797, 1825–1875
Cash Books 1830–1874
Seats for Poor 1794–1840
Library Register 1815–1867
Note: Available at the Dundee City Archives and Record Centre, record CH2/254; also on microfilm at the National Archives of Scotland.
Nonconformist Church Records
A nonconformist church is any church that is not the Established church. Read more about nonconformity in Scotland in the article on the Scotland Church Records Union Lists.
See Liff parish.
Civil Registration Records
Government or civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths (also called statutory records) began on January 1, 1855 in Scotland. Each parish has a registrar's office and large cities have several. The records are created by the registrars and copies are sent to the General Register Office in Edinburgh. Annual indexes are then created for the records for the whole country.
See the article on Scotland Civil Registration for more information and to access the records.
Lundie and Fowlis was under the probate jurisdiction of the Commissary Court of St.Andrews until 1823, and since then has been under the Sheriff's Court of Dundee. Probate records for 1513- 1901 are indexed online at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. You must register on the website but use of the index to probate records, called 'Wills & Testaments,' is free. You may then purchase a copy of the document or, if the document is before 1823, it will be on microfilm at the Family History Library. To find the microfilm numbers, search in the library catalog for the 'Place-names' of Angus and the subject of 'Probate records.' Then click on the link to the records of the Commissariat of At.Andrews.
The library also has some post-1823 probate records for Angus. Look in the library catalog for the 'Place-names' of Angus and the subjects of 'Probate Records' and 'Probate Records - Indexes.'
Read more about Scotland Probate Records.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1846), pp. 499-514. Adapted. Date accessed: 5 June 2014.
Return to Angus Parishes