Lynford, Norfolk Genealogy
|Poor Law Union||Thetford|
|Parish registers: None; For records see MundFord|
|Bishop's Transcripts: None|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
LYNFORD, a parish, in the union of Thetford, hundred of Grimshoe, W. division of the county of Norfolk, 6 miles (N. N. E.) from Brandon. 
Lynford Our Lady and St Stephen is the private Roman Catholic chapel built by the Mrs Lyne-Stephens in 1878. She lived at Lynford Hall and had the church built to save her the inconvenience of leaving the Hall and estate to travel to Thetford to attend mass.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Thetford 1837- 1938
- Wayland 1939-1974
No deposited records are found at the Norfolk Record Office.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438860.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Lynford on GenUKI
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 198-203. Date accessed: 23 April 2013.