Matane County: Populated Places Table
How Each Column Helps You With Your Research
1. POPULATED PLACE column: names the "populated place" or "location" of interest.
2. FORMER NAME, if applicable column: if the location was known by another name, it is listed here (a year of name change is given, if known).
3. TYPE column: gives type of location (i.e. village, town, city, etc.) - the size definition varies per province.
4. FHL CATALOG column: links to the "catagories of sources" available in the Family History Library for this populated place or location.
5. WIKIPEDIA column: links to background information regarding this location or its county if Wikipedia does not have an article for that specific place.
- Canadian Geographical Names Data Base (CGNDB) - gives brief information about a place, including historic names/places. For historic information, scroll to #3, and click Formerly Official, also try with All.
- Google Maps - shows the whereabouts of places on a map.
- Google Images - shows pictures/photos/old maps (sometimes) of a place.
- WorldCat - shows sources (books, maps, etc.) at various libraries/repositories, etc. for a place.
- Listed below are the populated places in this district, according to the Répertoire toponymique du Québec, 1978. This gazetteer is used as the source of locations or populated places in the Family History Library Catalog for the Province of Québec.
- If you wish the current division, where your Populated Place now exists, check the Canadian Geographical Names Data Base listed above.
Populated Places Table
|FORMER NAME, if applicable||TYPE||
|ANY NEW LOCATIONS IN FHL CATALOG???||Link|
- Répertoire toponymique du Québec, 1978, (Québec, Québec : Éditeur officiel, c1979 ). FHL book 971.4 E5r