Madison County, Kentucky Genealogy
Guide to Madison County, Kentucky ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Madison County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||October 17, 1785|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 African American Research
- 4.2 Biographies
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church
- 4.6 Court
- 4.7 Education
- 4.8 Genealogy
- 4.9 Land
- 4.10 Local Histories
- 4.11 Maps
- 4.12 Military
- 4.13 Miscellaneous
- 4.14 Newspapers
- 4.15 Obituaries
- 4.16 Probate
- 4.17 Taxation
- 4.18 Vital Records
- 4.19 Societies and Libraries
- 4.20 Family History Centers
- 4.21 Websites
- 5 References
101 W Main Street
Richmond, KY 40475-1415
For animated maps illustrating Kentucky county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Kentucky County Boundary Maps" (1776-1939) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
|Arlington||Crooksville (hist.)||Kingston||Round Hill|
|Bybee||Elliston||Rosedale (hist.)||Valley View|
|College Hill||Happy Landing||Reeds Crossing||Wallaceton|
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
The following web sites have additional information on Madison county cemeteries.
- Interment.net Kentucky cemetery records by county.
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- ePodunk list of Madison County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
For tips on accessing Madison County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
1790 - Lost, but a substitute is available, see Taxation.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
- Berea College Yearbooks - approximately 40 years of yearbooks digitized and available full-text online via the Internet Archive. Years include approximately 1929-1970 (not fully inclusive).
Eastern Kentucky University
- Three Decades of Progress (1936) - a history of the school written by the faculty.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Ballance] Pierce, Alycon Trubey. "The Ballance Family of Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 38, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1994):3-20; Vol. 38, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1994):105-114. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 38 (1994).
- [Bates] Dorman, John Frederick. Adventurers of Purse and Person, Virginia, 1607-1624/5. 3 vols. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., 2004-2007. Volume 1. FHL Book 975.5 H2j v. 1.
- [Boone] Bryan, J.C. The Boone-Bryan History. Frankfort, Ky.: The Kentucky State Historical Society, 1913. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Collins] Collins, Gerald E. William Collins (176*-1848): of North Carolina, Madison County, Kentucky, Shelby County, Indiana and Some of His Descendants. No publication info. FHL 727107
- [Crooke] Crooke, B.F. Genealogy of the Crooke and Proctor Families. 1908. FHL 133683
- [Crooke] Ingalls, Osie Alice McDowell. Crooke Family: Account Book of Miss Crooke of Science Hill, Madison County, Kentucky. MSS., National Library, D.A.R. Copy: FHL 133683
- [Embry] Miller, William Harris. The Embry Family of Madison County, Ky. Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.: n.p., 1954. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Finley] Finley, Carmen J. "John and Mary Finley of Montgomery (Wythe) County, Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 34, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1990):243-255. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 34 (1990).
- [Francis] Francis: Family Genealogical Data, 1794-1927, Madison County, Kentucky. Typescript. Microfilmed 1982. FHL Collection.
- [Gates] Ross, Janet Morgan and Hester Gates Morgan. "Gates Families of the Colonial Virginia Counties of Henrico and Chesterfield," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 46, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2002):137-150; Vol. 46, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 2002):183-189. Digital version at American Ancestors ($); FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 46 (2002).
- [Hill] Hill, L. Henry. Genealogy of the Hill Family of Garrard and Madison Counties, Kentucky. Evansville, Ind.: Unigraphic, 1978. FHL 166763
- [Jett] Jett, C. Otis. The Genealogy of the Breathitt, Clay and Madison County, Kentucky Branch of the Jett Family. Georgetown, Ky.: I.L. Jett, 1988. FHL 470135
- [Park] Gum, Nell Marshall Park. Park of Kentucky, 1747-1929: Biographical Sketches and Genealogy of the Descendants of Ebenezer Park, Pioneer of Madison County, Kentucky. Frankfort, Ky.: Gum, 1929. FHL 1715; digital version at Ancestry. ($)
- [Park] Park, Evelyn Potter and Warren R. Park. Allen Park, 1745-1805, of Rowan County, North Carolina and Madison County, Kentucky: Including Some of His Descentants and Allied Families. Chandler, Okla.: n.p., 1970. FHL 1796; 1977 supplement: FHL 1813
- [Pursley] Winchester, Warren. Benjamin Pursley (Pursell): of Loudoun County, Virginia, Bedford County, Pennsylvania, Madison County, Kentucky. Middletown, Ky.: W. Winchester, 1995. FHL 751739
- [Robertson] Ross, Janet Morgan and Hester Gates Morgan. "Gates Families of the Colonial Virginia Counties of Henrico and Chesterfield," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 46, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2002):137-150; Vol. 46, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 2002):183-189. Digital version at American Ancestors ($); FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 46 (2002).
- [Shearer] Shearer, Oliver F. In Search of my Shearer Heritage in Madison and Rock Castle Countys [sic ] in Kentucky. [Winchester, Ky.]: O.F. Shearer, [199?]. FHL 711990
- [Turner] Sargent, Samuel S. Genealogy of the Turner Family (Especially of Madison County, Kentucky & Illinois), ca. 1700-1955. MSS., 1955. FHL 321518
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Madison County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- ~ The Archives of Appalachia
- A glimpse at historic Madison County and Richmond, Kentucky at Ancestry.com (Free/$)
- Maps of Kentucky (1776-1939)
- KYGenWeb compiled list of maps
- Click on the county to go to the KYGenWeb site
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- 1861-1865 - Kentucky Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Kentucky Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1912-1950 - Kentucky Confederate Pension Applications 1912-1950 at FamilySearch — index and images
Regiments. Service men in Madison County, Kentucky Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Madison County, Kentucky Genealogy:
- - 11th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate). Companies A, B, E, F, G, and H.
- - Jesse's Battalion, Kentucky Mounted Riflemen (Confederate), Company C
- - 12th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate), Company G
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Madison County:
- Map showing Civil War battles in Kentucky.
World War I
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soldiers from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Madison County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
Probate records are held by the Madison County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Madison County, Kentucky Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1774 - 1999 - Kentucky Wills and Probate Records 1774-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1787 - 1939 - Madison County Kentucky list of will book testators SAMPUBCO - Browsable index of testators of wills. - free
- 1727 - 1990 - Kentucky Probate Records 1727-1990 at FamilySearch — images
The organization Strictly By Name provides free online indexes to early Madison County probate records. They offer a record retrieval service to photocopy and transcribe microfilm copies of the original documents for a small fee. Available indexes:
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
- 1787 - Schreiner-Yantis, Netti and Florene Speakman Love. The 1787 Census of Virginia: An Accounting of the Name of Every White Male Tithable Over 21 Years, the Number of White Males Between 16 & 21 Years, the Number of Slaves over 16 & Those Under 16 Years, Together with a Listing of Their Horses, Cattle & Carriages, and Also the Names of All Persons to Whom Ordinary Licenses and Physician's Licenses Were Issued. 3 vols. Springfield, Va.: Genealogical Books in Print, 1987. Online at FamilySearch - free; [The source of this publication is the 1787 personal property tax list. Madison County is included in Vol. 1.]
- 1788 Court and Tax Records. GenealogyTrails.
- 1789 - Heinemann, Charles B. "First Census" of Kentucky 1790. Washington, D.C.: n.p., 1940. 1981 reprint: FHL 446696; digital version at Kentucky Kinfolks. ["3 volumes of 1789 were used, with some duplication of names." (p. 2)]
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Madison County, Kentucky Genealogy is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
- 1815 - The 1815 list is the first list (at least since 1808) in which we can build geographical clusters despite the alphabetizing of the first letter of surnames. This is done by using the regiment and company information. See FHL US/CAN Film 8,127. These alphabetical by surname lists were prepared by the Madison County clerk from records in his office.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Madison County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Madison County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records. See also How to order Kentucky Vital Records
- 1839-1960 - KY Births and Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- 1852-1859 - Madison County Birth Index 1852-1859. Batch C517691 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Madison County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517692 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1875 - Madison County Birth Index 1875. Batch C517693 at FamilySearch - free.
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths and Marriages
- 1783-1979 - KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- 1785-1851 - Record of Marriages in Madison County, Kentucky for the Period of Years 1785 to 1851 Inclusive. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- 1790-1843 - Madison County, Kentucky Marriage Records, 1790-1843 at Ancestry.com ($)
- 1797-1954 - Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1852-1859 - Madison County Marriage Index 1852-1859. Batch M517691 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1875 - Madison County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517694 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1875 - Madison County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517696 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1876-1878 - Madison County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517695 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1973-2000 - Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths and Marriages
- 1843-1970 - KY Deaths and Burials ~ KY Deaths and Burials 1843 - 1970
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths and Marriages
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
- 1973-1993 - KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
Societies and Libraries
Society of Boonesborough
PO Box 226
Richmond Kentucky 40476-0226
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Madison County, KY History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Madison County KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kentucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Madison County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Madison County KY Genealogy (Kentucky Genealogy)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Madison County, Kentucky page 272, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- May be used for free at Family History Center. To locate a center near you, click here.
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 7 August, 2012)
- G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/7/75/Igikentuckymz.pdf.