Madison Wisconsin Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
- 1 Center Location, Hours, and Contact
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Upcoming Events
- 4 Class Schedule
- 5 Center Resources
- 6 Hardware and Equipment
- 7 Center Services
- 8 Resources in the Local Area
- 9 Links
- 10 Volunteer at the Center
Center Location, Hours, and Contact
Location Map: Location on Map
Address: 4505 Regent St Madison, WI 53705
- We are in the church, just inside the Southwest entrance off the parking lot.
- Language: English
- 3rd Tuesday: 9:00am-12:00pm
- 4th Tuesday: 9:00am-12:00pm
- Usual 1st Thursday: 6:00pm-9:00pm
- 2nd Saturday: 9:00am-12:00pm
- other appointments made by patrons, others welcome.
First Thursday evening 6:00-9:00pm April 2
New appointment Saturday 10:00-12:00pm April 7
Second Saturday morning 9:00am-12:00pm April 11
New appointment Saturday 9:00am-12:00pm April 18
Third Tuesday morning 9:00am-12:00pm April 21
Fourth Tuesday morning 9:00am-12:00pm April 28
++If these hours do not work for you, it is possible to make an appointment with Judy McDonald. To insure staff availabiilty, please make appointments 1-2 weeks prior to date needed. Judy's phone (608) 358-4932
Calendar and Events
Dane County Area Genealogy Society meeting :
1st Thursday of every month: 7pm in the chapel
Regent Street building (same as the FHC)
Staff Training Meetings
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- Patrons' Microfiche Collection -- a collection of fiche ordered by our patrons, assorted titles. Contain family histories, vital records, and other types of information.
- Indefinite Film Collection -- a collection of films on a variety of subjects, to include vital records, county records, court records, Large collection of German films etc.
- Book Collection: -- Library of donated family histories, books about genealogy of different locations, maps of other countries, dictionaries in other languages to help with translation of films World locations research outlines
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
- 8 microfilm readers, 2 upright oriented machines
- 1 microfilm/microfiche reader with electric wind/rewind (upright)
- 1 Minolta reader/printer, (upright) not digitized
- 4 computers w/shared printer
- large table for spreading out work and comfy chairs
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
Vesterheim Genealogical Center and Naeseth Library - Norwegian/American heritage
Volunteer at the Center
If you're interested in volunteering, please call our center and ask for Judy McDonald.