Maine Archives and Libraries
|Maine Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Wiki Articles on Major Repositories for Maine
Allen County Public Library · American Antiquarian Society · Bangor Public Library · Farmington Public Library · Haverhill Public Library · Maine Historical Society · Maine State Archives · Maine State Library · Massachusetts Historical Society · National Archives at Boston · New England Historic Genealogical Society · Penobscot Marine Museum · Skidompha Public Library · University of Maine Fogler Library
Online Records of Maine
Links to online databases and indexes that may include vital records, biographies, cemeteries, censuses, histories, immigration records, land records, maps, military records, naturalizations, newspapers, obituaries, or probate records.
National Archives at Boston
Maine Historical Society Brown LibraryMaine Historical Society Brown Library
489 Congress Street
Portland, ME 04101
Website: Maine Historical Society Brown Library
Maine State ArchivesMaine State Archives
84 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0084
Website: Maine State Archives
- Original records from all Maine counties, towns, and plantations. A wiki article describing this collection is found at Maine State Archive Collections (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Maine State LibraryMaine State Library
64 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333
E-mail: Ask a Librarian, Information Form
Website: Maine State Library
- Has history, genealogy, town histories, counties, Indians, boundary changes, rivers, maps, oral histories, and town/plantation records. This is the best genealogical repository in Maine.
Bangor Public LibraryBangor Public Library
145 Harlow Street
Bangor, ME 04401
Website: Local History, the Bangor Room, and Special Collections
- Genealogical and historical references for Bangor, the Penobscot Valley, the state of Maine, and the entire region of New England. They have censuses, Maine Register town histories, the Bangor Daily News Index, county histories, family records and research, genealogy handbooks, Bangor city directories, military histories, passenger lists, and scanned photos. They also provide free access to Ancestry Library and HeritageQuest Online.
Farmington Public LibraryFarmington Public Library
117 Academy Street
Farmington, ME 04938
Website: Farmington Public Library
- The Genealogy Room has over 1,700 works: town histories, published and unpublished family histories, local newspapers, Ancestry.com access, vital records, and cemetery transcripts.
Penobscot Marine MuseumPenobscot Marine Museum
Stephen Phillips Memorial Library
11 Church Street (PO Box 498)
Searsport, Maine 04974
Telephone: 207-548-2529 ext.212
Website: Stephen Phillips Memorial Library
- Their collection includes an important biographical index of Maine people. They also have records of shipping companies, ship registers, logbooks, and journals.
Skidompha Public LibrarySkidompha Public Library
Lincoln County Genealogy and History Center
184 Main Street (PO Box 70)
Damariscotta, Maine 04543
Website: Genealogy:Find Your Roots<
- Their genealogy and local history collection is outstanding. It is strongest for Lincoln County, but also includes other areas of Maine, New England, US, Canada, and other countries.
University of Maine Fogler LibraryUniversity of Maine Fogler Library
Orono, ME 04469-5729
E-mail: Ask a Librarian form
Website: University of Maine Fogler Library
- They have excellent collections about early Maine settlers, fisheries, Acadians, ships, and shipping companies.
Outside of Maine Repositories
- Maine was part of Massachusetts until 1819, so early Maine records are often found in Massachusetts repositories.
Allen County Public Library
- This is the second-largest genealogy collection in the United States and the largest genealogy collection in a public library. Its holdings include more than 350,000 printed volumes and 513,000 items on microfilm and microfiche. It has a premier genealogical periodical collection, local histories, genealogies, databases, military, censuses, directories, passenger lists, ethnic sources, and Canadians. They have a great eastern seaboard and Maine collection.
American Antiquarian SocietyAmerican Antiquarian Society
185 Salisbury Street
Worcester, Massachusetts 01609-1634
Website: American Antiquarian Society
- Best known for its U.S. newspaper collection of over 18,000 bound volumes 1704-1820, history, genealogy, Bibles, maps, biography, directories, Native Americans, women, canals, railroads, photos, manuscripts. They have Maine vital records, newspapers, and town histories. One of the best genealogy centers in America.
Haverhill Public LibraryHaverhill Public Library
99 Main Street
Haverhill, Massachusetts 01830
Website: Haverhill Public Library Special Collections
- One of New England's largest collections of original manuscripts, books, genealogical periodicals, and surname folders, local history collection, genealogy databases, Massachusetts vital records to 1910, federal and state censuses, 9,000 New England town and family histories. Their collection of New England and Maine sources is larger than most. 
Massachusetts Historical Society LibraryMassachusetts Historical Society Library
1154 Boylston Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02215-3695
E-mail: Contact Us
Website: Massachusetts Historical Society
- Excellent historical materials, original town records, and genealogies related to Maine. This collection does not repeat the New England Historic Genealogical Society collection.
Massachusetts State ArchivesMassachusetts State Archives
220 Morrissey Boulevard
Boston, Massachusetts 02125
Phone: (617) 727–2816
Website: Massachusetts Archives Division
- The Massachusetts Archives Index, also known as the Colonial Index, cites almost every early New England immigrant inlcuding those for Maine.
New England Historic Genealogical SocietyNew England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS)
101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116-3007
Telephone: 617-536-5740; Library 617-226-1231
- Best overall collection for New England vital records and probates, and excellent collection for Canada, Great Britain, Ireland, and Europe. The manuscript collection for members only has diaries, letters, account books, business papers, church and town records, sermons, maps, wills, deeds, unpublished town and family genealogies, photos, and papers of the region's best genealogists since 1850. The Maine collection has great detail on some early families, unpublished family histories, and many town and county histories.
For Further Reading
- Maine State Archives, Public Record Repositories in Maine. (Augusta, Maine: Maine State Archives, 1972). WorldCat 17248268; 1983 online digital edition. FHL Film 928040 item 4; Fiche 6051251; Book 974.1 A3m.
- Maine (Directory of Historical Societies) in D'Addezio A Directory of Historical Societies in the United States, Canada and Australia online.
- Usgennet.org Online Historical and Genealogical Societies of Maine.
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
- William Dollarhide and Ronald A. Bremer. America's Best Genealogy Resource Centers (Bountiful, Utah: Heritage Quest, 1998), 124. WorldCat 39493985; FHL Ref Book 973 J54d.
- Dollarhide and Bremer, 53.
- Genealogy and Family History Research at MHS in Maine Historical Society (accessed 5 April 2016).
- Local History, the Bangor Room, and Special Collections in Bangor Public Library (accessed 5 April 2016).
- Genealogy Services in Farmington Public Library (accessed 5 April 2016).
- Genealogy: Find Your Roots in Skidompha Library (accessed 5 April 2016).
- Allen County Public Library in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia (accessed 28 April 2010).
- Genealogy Center in Allen County Public Library (accessed 28 April 2010).
- Genealogy Center Collections in Genealogy Center (accessed 27 February 2015).
- Dollarhide and Bremer, 59.
- Genealogy Resources in Haverhill Public Library (accessed 14 November 2013).
- Dollarhide and Bremer, 57.
- Dollarhide and Bremer, 5, 57, and 59.