Malpas, Cheshire Genealogy
Guide to Malpas, Cheshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Part of this parish is in Flintshire, Wales. See also Malpas, Flintshire, Wales.
St Oswald's Church, Malpas Cheshire
|Poor Law Union||Wrexham|
|Registration District||Great Boughton; Nantwich; Wrexham|
|Parish registers: 1561; Separate registers exist for Cholmondeley beginning 1840|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1584; Separate records exist for Cholmondeley beginning 1601|
|Diocese||Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry; Post-1540 - Chester|
|Probate Court||Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory) Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Cheshire (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Cheshire Record Office|
MALPAS (St. Oswald), is a parish, in the unions of Nantwich, Great Boughton, and Wrexham, it is chiefly in the Higher division of the hundred of Broxton, the Southern division of the county of Chester, but partly in the county of Flint, North Wales; comprising the townships of Agden, Bickerton, Bickley, Bradley, Broxton, Bulkeley, Chidlow, Cholmondeley, Chorlton, Cuddington, Duckington, Edge,Egerton,Hampton, Larkton, Macefen, Malpas, Newton, Oldcastle, Overton, Stockton,Tushingham, Wichaugh, and Wigland; it is 15 miles (S. S. E.) from Chester.
There are threechapels in the parish, St. Chad's, Whitewell, and Bickerton; the first and last each form a separate incumbency, and Whitewell chapel is annexed to the higher mediety. The parish contains places of worship forIndependents and Wesleyans.
Malpas is an Ancient Parish mostly in Cheshire and partly in Flintshire, Wales.
The 1841 Census returns for Malpas are missing.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 104269.
Malpas St Oswald parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts|
|Malpas St Oswald Parish (1561) Online Records|
|FS PR's|| 1562-1909
|FS BT'S|| 1599-1893
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Malpas, St. Oswald (C of E). An ancient parish church, originally serving the townships of Agden (near Malpas), Bickerton, Bickley, Bradley, Broxton, Bulkeley, Chidlow, Cholmondeley, Chorlton (near Malpas), Cuddington (near Malpas), Duckington, Edge, Egerton, Hampton, Larkton, Macefen, Malpas, Newton by Malpas, Oldcastle, Overton, Stockton, Tushingham with Grindley, Wigland and Wychough in Cheshire, and Iscoyd in Flintshire. Registers of Baptisms 1561–1948, Marriages 1561–1987 and Burials 1561–1905 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office.
St Oswald’s Malpas parish registers Cheshire Record Office call no.: P21/3607/1/1-8; P21/3607/2/1-5; P21/4622/1-14; P21/3607/3/1-9; P21/3607/4/1-2; P21/3607/5/1-3.
Here is a list of church records on microfilm at the Family History Library (FHL) in Salt Lake City.
|Parish registers content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1561-1609, 1614-1625||BRITISH 2068450 Items 4-5|
|Baptisms, 1625-1779. Marriages, 1625-1754. Burials, 1625-1795.||BRITISH 2068451|
|Baptisms, 1779-1881. Burials, 1796-1812.||BRITISH 2068452|
|Baptisms, 1861-1948. Marriages, 1754-1825.||BRITISH 2068513|
|Marriages, 1825-1901.||BRITISH 2068514|
|Marriages, 1901-1951. Banns of marriage, 1822-1942.||BRITISH 2068515|
|Burials, 1813-1905.||BRITISH 2068516 Items 1-3|
Bishop's transcripts for Malpas, 1584-1893 Cheshire Record Office no.: EDB/141.
|Bishop's transcripts content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1584-1585, 1599-1601, 1609-1611, 1613-1614, 1622, 1624-1628, 1630, 1633-1635, 1637-1640, 1662, 1665-1691, 1693-1698, 1700-1734, 1736-1747, 1749-1750.||BRITISH 1656977|
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1751-1755, 1759-1819. Baptisms, 1820.||BRITISH 1656978|
|Marriages, 1820-1836, Burials, 1820-1849, 1851-1857. Baptisms, 1820-1849, 1851-1858.||BRITISH 1538147|
|Burials, 1858-1891. Baptisms, 1858-1893.||BRITISH 1538148 Item 1|
St. Oswald, Malpas, marriages, 1561-1837 Authors Bennett, John (Main Author)
Dod, John Cadogen Wolley (Added Author)
Family History Society of Cheshire (Added Author)
"This list has been compiled from two sources. The period from 1561 to 1812 is taken from the J.C. Wolley Dod transcription made during the 1940s. From 1813 to 1837 the entries are taken directly from the parish registers." Marriage transcript, A – Z FHL BRITISH Access Services Window 6395249
A copy of the registers of the marriages, christenings and burials at St. Oswald's Church, Malpas, in the county of Cheshire : from 1561 to 1812 Authors Dod, John Cadogen Wolley (Main Author)
- Malpas, St. Joseph (Roman Catholic). Opened 1946.
- Malpas, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Wrexham Road/Cuddington Road. Built in 1894.
- Malpas, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Old Hall Street. Built in 1860, closed in 1968. Registers 1935–1968 are at the Cheshire Record Office. Cheshire BMD have indexed Malpas, Methodist Church (Old Hall Street)1935 Registration District Cheshire West Code AP67 years covered 1935-1952 Malpas, United Reformed Church (Independent/Congregational), High Street. Built in 1815. Registers 1819–1837 are at the Cheshire Record Office. Also at Microfilm of original records at the Public Record Office, London.Births and baptisms, 1819-1837.RG-4 series no. 185.FHL BRITISH Film 20048 Item 13
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
- Wrexham (1837–53)
- Whitchurch (1853–1937)
- West Cheshire (1937–74)
- Chester and Ellesmere Port (1974–98)
- Cheshire West (post 1998) The post 2009 reorganisation of civil registration can be found on-line at Cheshire BMD
Poor Law Unions
- Nantwich Poor Law Union (part)
- Wrexham (1837–53)
- Whitchurch Incorporation Poor Law Union, Shropshire (1853–1930)
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.See also England Cheshire Probate Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- A transcribed copy of probate records for Malpas 1603-1625 can be located in book form The Ancient Parishes of Malpas Tilston and Shocklach
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Malpas on GENUKI
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848). Date Accessed 29 March 2013
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 14 October 2013.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Rylands, T. Michael (n.d.), An Illustrated History of St. Oswald's, Malpas, Manchester
- F H Crossley & J C Wolley Dod ' An architectural history of the church of Malpas in the County of Cheshire' Chester Archaelogical Society Journal Volume 37 (ii) (1949)
- F I Dunn 1987 The Ancient Parishes and Chapelries of Cheshire
- J McN Dodgson The Place Names of Cheshire Part 4 The Place names of Broxton Hundred and Wirral Hundred (Cambridge)
- A Crosby 1996 A History of Cheshire Phillimore