Manatee County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Manatee County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Manatee County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||January 9, 1855|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Cemeteries
- 5.3 Census
- 5.4 Church
- 5.5 Court
- 5.6 Immigration
- 5.7 Land
- 5.8 Local Histories
- 5.9 Maps
- 5.10 Military
- 5.11 Newspapers
- 5.12 Obituaries
- 5.13 Probate
- 5.14 Schools
- 5.15 Taxation
- 5.16 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 Societies and Libraries
- 9 Web Sites
- 10 References
Manatee County, Florida Record Dates
Manatee County Courthouse
1115 Manatee Ave W; PO Box 25400;
Bradenton, FL 34206
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage, divorce, probate, court and land records from 1857
Manatee County was created in 1855 from Hillsborough County and is located on the gulf coast on the south side of Tampa Bay. It is in the semi-subtropic climate zone. Later Sarasota, Hardee, DeSoto, Highlands, Charlotte, and Glades counties were split off from Manatee County. Current records are kept at the Manatee County Courthouse
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Florida Gravestones||Veterans Administration National Cemeteries|
For tips on accessing Manatee County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census USGenWeb
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos USGenWeb
- Federal Census Information from National Archives USGenWeb
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives USGenWeb
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service USGenWeb
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
NARA Ships Passenger Lists
These passenger lists cover:
1834 - 1897 Immigration of Russians to the United States
1/12/1846 -12/31/1851 Irish Famine
1850 - 1897 Germans to the United States
1855 - 1900 Italians to the United States
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Manatee County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- 1821-1997 Maps of Florida
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of StateUSGenWeb
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of StateUSGenWeb
- Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps University of South Florida
- Florida State Military Files USGenWeb
- Florida state pension records from various wars Pension Transcriptions USGenWeb
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885-1955 - Florida Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1955 at FamilySearch — images only
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict distantcousin.com
- Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War distantcousin.com
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Manatee County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- U.S. Hidden Ancestors Obituaries
- USGenWeb Obituaries Project Obituary transcriptions from Florida counties
Probate records are held by the Manatee County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Manatee County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1784 – 1990 FamilySearch Florida Probate Records 1784-1990
- 1810 – 1974 Ancestry.com $ Florida Wills and Probate Records 1810-1974
- Florida State Archives $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1877 - 1939 Florida, Deaths, 1877-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1900 - 1921 Florida, Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921 at FamilySearch — index
- 1877 - 1998 Florida, Death Index, 1877-1998 at FamilySearch — index
- 1837 - 1974 Florida, Marriages, 1837-1974 at FamilySearch — index
- 1830 - 1993 Florida, Marriages, 1830-1993 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1830 - 1957 - Florida, County Marriages, 1830-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1822 - 1875 and 1927 - 2001 Florida, Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001 at FamilySearch — index
- Manatee County, Florida Obituary Collection Free from GenealogyBuff.com. From Various Funeral Homes in the Bradenton, Sarasota, Parrish, and Palmetto areas.
- Obituaries published in Bradenton Herald - Obituary File 1976-present, a service of the Manatee Genealogical Society. The Card File is located at the Historical Records Library in Bradenton, FL.
Societies and Libraries
Manatee County Historical Society
PO Box 1000
Manatee County Historical Society
604 15th St.
Bradenton, FL 34208
Manasota Genealogical Society
1405 4th Ave North
Bradenton, FL 33506
Myakka City Historical Society
PO Box 500
Myakka City 34252
Eaton Florida History Room
Manatee County Central Library
1301 Barcarrota Blvd.
Bradenton, FL 34217
The Family Heritage House Museum
1707 15th St. East
Bradenton, FL 34205
Anna Maria Island Historical Society
402 Pine Ave.
Anna Maria, FL 34216
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Brandenton Florida Family History Center
- Manatee County Items at the Bradenton Family History Library. List compiled by the Manatee Genealogical Society and posted on the MGS Website.
- Manatee County GenWeb Project, Inc.
- Manatee County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- State of Florida
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Sarasota County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Sarasota County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
Societies and Libraries
Most Manatee County historical records (usually more than 1 year old) are transfered to the [Records Library] located at 1405 4th Ave W. Bradenton, FL 34205. Phone: (941) 741-4070. The Historical Records Library is housed within the 1918 Carnegie Library building, which was placed on the U.S. Department of the Interior's Registry of Historic Sites in 1987.
- Manatee County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Manatee Genealogical Society
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 123-139. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).