Mankato Minnesota Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Our center services the greater Mankato area including the following Minnesota counties: Blue Earth, Nicollet, Brown, LeSueur, Waseca, Watonwan, and beyond.
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
Address: Located within The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
- 1851 Marie Lane North Mankato MN 56003 United States
Closed all Major Holidays: Week of Thanksgiving: Last two weeks in December: Closed for inclement weather: Please call center with any questions:
Calendar and Events
"GENEALOGY ON THE INTERNET"
Presented Saturday January 28, 2017Photo courtesy of Bishop Aaron Budge
We are currently developing a series of free genealogical research classes. Dates and times to be announced. You may e-mail us with suggestions of
topics that interest you.
FamilySearch has an an upcoming free Webinar series in March 2017. Check the familysearch.org website for dates and times. Some Webinars require
A note from the Director:
The 2017 RootsTech Conference whose main sponsor is FamilySearch will be held 2/8/2017 - 2/11/2017 at the Salt Palace Convention Center in Salt Lake City, Utah
RootsTech is a global family history event where people of all ages learn to discover, share and celebrate their family connections across generations through technology. At RootsTech, there is something for everyone, no matter your experience in family history or your skill level in technology. This is an annual event. I recommend attending if you can.
If you are not able to physically attend. Many of the main programs are simulcast each day via internet at RootsTech 2017. Check their website for times and dates. Videos for many of the programs will also be available online after the event closes.
Staff Training Meetings
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- We are currently developing an updated listing of the microfilms and research help books we have available in our center. Please check back for updates!
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
- Alexander Street Press - The American Civil War:
- American Ancestors - Library Rights
- Ancestry.com - Institution Versons: US | Australia | Canada | Germany | Sweden | United Kingdom
- ArkivDigital Online (Swedish records)
- Find My Past - Institution Version
- Fold3.com (Previously known as Footnote.com)
- Kinpoint - Premium
- MyHeritage - Library Edition
- Newspaper Archive
- Paper Trail
- ProQuest Obituary Listings
- Puzilla - Premium Services
Hardware and Equipment
- 5 computers with internet access
- 6 microfilm readers
- 1 microfiche readers
- 1 microfilm/microfiche reader/scanner/printer
Staff Research Specialties
- Amy Saulnier
- Joyce Gardner
- Usually available Thursdays 10am - 2pm
- German, Pomeranian, Irish, Minnesota genealogy
- James Osborne
- Usually available Tuesdays 10am - 2pm
- Over 30 years of genealogy research experience
- Michael Jones (Family History Center director)
- Usually available Thursdays 10am - 2pm
- Proficient with familysearch.org research & documentation, as well as our premium research websites.
- Annette Honda
- Usually available Thursdays 5pm to closing
- Utah, Vermont, Danish, and English genealogy
- Brenda Lampman
- Usually available Thursdays 2-5pm
- Don Petty
- Usually available Tuesdays 2pm-5pm
- Over 10 years of genealogical research experience
Resources in the Local Area
(This section is to highlight other resources in your area that will be helpful for individuals doing research there in your location, if there are any, such as government offices, historical societies, etc.)
Volunteer at the Center
If you would like to be a Family History consultant volunteer at The Mankato Family History Center, We would be happy to discuss that with you! You do not have to be a "seasoned" genealogist
to be a member of our team. Your enthusiasm for Family History, some basic computer knowledge, and the desire to help others is what is needed. We will train you to work with our systems
and patrons. You may call and leave a message, or send us an e-mail message to be considered.