Mariposa County, California Genealogy
|Mariposa County, California|
Location in the state of California
Location of California in the U.S.
|Address|| Mariposa County Courthouse|
5100 Bullion St
PO Box 35
Maripose, CA 95338
Mariposa County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Bible Records
- 5.2 Biography
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church History and Records
- 5.6 Court
- 5.7 Crime and Criminals
- 5.8 Directories
- 5.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 5.10 Gazetteers
- 5.11 Genealogy
- 5.12 History
- 5.13 Land and Property
- 5.14 Maps
- 5.15 Migration
- 5.16 Military History and Records
- 5.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.18 Newspapers
- 5.19 Obituaries
- 5.20 Periodicals
- 5.21 Probate
- 5.22 Repositories
- 5.23 Societies
- 5.24 Taxation
- 5.25 Vital Records
- 5.26 Birth
- 5.27 Marriage
- 5.28 Divorce
- 5.29 Death
- 5.30 Voting Registers
- 6 Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Mariposa County, California Record Dates
County Clerk has divorce, probate and court records
County Recorder has birth, marriage, death and burial records
18 February 1850: Mariposa was created as an original county. County seat: Mariposa
The county was named from Mariposa Creek, which was so named by Spanish explorers in 1806, when they discovered great clusters of butterflies ("mariposas" in Spanish) in the foothills of the Sierras. The county seat Mariposa and the county was created 1850. The County is located in the central area of the state.
For animated maps illustrating California county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation California County Boundary Maps" (1850-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
- Mariposa County Biographies (CAGenWeb Project)
- Index to Mariposa County Biographies (USGenWeb Archives)
The following web sites may have additional information on Mariposa County cemeteries.
- Interment.net California cemetery records by County.
For tips on accessing Mariposa County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
- 1850 - Federal Census of Mariposa County (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1850 - Mortality Schedule, Mariposa County (Genealogy Trails)
- 1930 - 1930 United States Census, Hornitos Towns, Mariposa Co., California (Genealogy Trails)
Church History and Records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about California denominations, view the California Church Records wiki page.
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Mariposa County, California Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section California Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See California Land and Property for additional information about early California land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- Index to Federal Land Patents, Mariposa County (USGenWeb Archives)
Military History and Records
- 1883 - Mariposa County, List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
World War I
- Mariposa County, World War I Army Enlistees (USGenWeb Archives)
World War II
- Mariposa County, World War II Army Enlistees (USGenWeb Archives)
- Mariposa County, World War II Honor Roll (USGenWeb Archives)
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Mariposa County, California Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
The county clerk is usually the custodian of probate records. The records include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
You can obtain copies of the original probate records (such as wills and estate files) by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for California - Mariposa - Probate records.
Online Probate Records
- 1782 – 1999 California Wills and Probate Records 1782-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1833 – 1991 California Probate Estate Files 1833-1991 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
California tax records complement land records and can supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page California Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records. The State office has records since July 1905. For earlier records, contact the County Recorder.
- Index to Mariposa Vital Records and Vital Records Resources (CAGenWeb Project)
- 1812 - 1988 - California Births and Christenings, 1812-1988 at FamilySearch — index
- 1905 - 1995 - California Birth Index, 1905-1995 at FamilySearch — index
- Mariposa County Birth Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- 1850 - 1945 - California Marriages, 1850-1945 at FamilySearch — index
- 1850 - 1952 - California, County Marriages, 1850-1952 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1854 - 1885 - Western States Marriage Index.
- 1960 - 1985 - California Marriage Index, 1960-1985 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Mariposa County Marriage Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- 1905 - 1939 - California Death Index, 1905-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1919 - 1921 - Notices of vital events (births, marriages, and deaths), 1919-1921, abstracted from the Mariposa Gazette by William Disbro.
- 1940 - 1997 - California Death Index, 1940-1997 at FamilySearch — index
- Mariposa County Death Records (Genealogy Trails)
- 1892 - Great Register for Mariposa County, California, Year 1892 (Genealogy Trails)
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Mariposa Museum and History Center
5119 Jessie Street
Mariposa, California 95338
Northern Mariposa County History Center
10301 Highway 49
Coulterville, CA 95311
- Mariposa County, CA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- California Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- California Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Mariposa County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Mariposa County, California Genealogy Trails
- Mariposa County CA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy}
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 62-75. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Mariposa County, California. Page 85 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Genealogy Trails History Group, “Mariposa County, California Genealogy and History”, http://genealogytrails.com/cal/mariposa/ 05/04/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Mariposa County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariposa_County,_California 05/04/2017.