Marquette County, Wisconsin Genealogy
Guide to Marquette County Wisconsin ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Marquette County, Wisconsin|
Location of Wisconsin in the U.S.
|Founded||December 7, 1836|
|Address|| Marquette County Courthouse|
77 W Park Street
Montello, WI 53949
Marquette County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Bible Records
- 5.2 Biography
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church History and Records
- 5.6 Court Records
- 5.7 Crime and Criminals
- 5.8 Directories
- 5.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 5.10 Gazetteers
- 5.11 Genealogy
- 5.12 History
- 5.13 Land and Property
- 5.14 Local Histories
- 5.15 Maps
- 5.16 Migration
- 5.17 Military History and Records
- 5.18 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.19 Newspapers
- 5.20 Obituaries
- 5.21 Photographs
- 5.22 Periodicals
- 5.23 Probate Records
- 5.24 Repositories
- 5.25 Societies
- 5.26 Taxation
- 5.27 Vital Records
- 5.28 Voting Registers
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Marquette County, Wisconsin Record Dates
Marquette County Clerk
PO Box 186
Montello, WI 53949
Register of Deeds has birth records from 1876,
marriage and death from 1869 and land records;
Clerk of Courts has divorce and court records
from 1878 and naturalization records 1868-1936;
Register of Probate has probate records from 1890
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
- Marquette County Place Names and Post Office History WIGenWeb Project
Selected Biographical Sketches from the 1890 Green Lake, Marquette and Waushara County History
- WI Marquette County History
- WI Marquette Ennis Diary
- Index to the Westfield Centennial History (©2002) WIGenWeb Project
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Wisconsin Cemeteries for more information.|
- Marquette County Tombstone Photograph Pages USGenWeb Archives
- Marquette County Federal and State Census Transcriptions WIGenWeb project
- 1855 - 1855 Wisconsin State Census This census includes name of head of family; other individuals in the household are identified by sex and race, number of deaf and dumb, blind, insane and foreign born.
- 1865 - 1865 Wisconsin State Census Name index and images of the 1865 State Census which names the head of household. Most records have been destroyed but schedules exist for the following counties: Dunn, Green, Jackson, Kewaunee, Ozaukee, and Sheboygan.
- 1875 - 1875 Wisconsin State Census Identifies head of household by name.
- 1885 - Wisconsin State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images. Search indexed census. Identifies by name of head of household. Other information is statistical and identifies the rest of the household by race, gender and country of birth.
- 1895 - Wisconsin State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images. Identifies head of household by name. Other information is statistical.
- 1905 - Wisconsin State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — Name index and images of population. Enumerates by name all inhabitants.
Church History and Records
Histories and Records of Churches in Marquette County WI
Marquette County Wisconsin Ev. Lutheran Church Records
Current Marquette County Area Churches and Funeral Homes Marquette County, Wisconsin
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
contributed family trees -
Land and Property
Wisconsin Searches at RootsWeb
History of Marquette County
Marquette County, Wisconsin Place Names
Military History and Records
- Marquette County Area G.A.R. Post Founders WIGenWeb project - this site gives information on how to find veterans of the Civil War, World War , and World War II.
Civil War service men from Marquette County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Marguette County.
- - 3rd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Company C
- - 7th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company E.
- - 12th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company B
Company D, 4th Wisconsin Cavalry Organized in Kilbourn City in the Spring of 1861
- The Columbia Rifles WIGenWeb project
Marquette County Pensioners on the Roll in 1883
- Marquette County Pensioners on the roll in 1883 WIGenWeb project
Naturalization and Citizenship
Newspaper articles posted from various pre-1925 newspapers
- Newspaper Articles from Long Ago WIGenWeb project
LIst of Obituary Lookup Volunteers
- 1800 – 1987 Wisconsin Wills and Probate Records 1800-1987 at Ancestry.com — images and index $
- 1848 – 1948 Wisconsin Probate Estate Files 1848-1948 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Marquette County Libraries
Family History Centers
- Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Marquette County Historical Society
125 Lawrence Street
PO Box 172
Westfield, WI 53964
- Selected Pre-1920 Marquette County Births WIGenWeb project
- 1826 - 1926 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Birth Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1826 - 1908 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908 at Ancestry.com — index $
- Selected Pre-1920 Marquette County Marriages WIGenWeb project
- Pre-1907 Marquette County Marriages Index WIGenWeb project
- 1836 - 1930 Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- WI Marquette 1860 Mortality Schedule WIGenWeb Project
- Pre-1920 Marquette County Deaths
- Wisconsin Obituaries USGenWeb Archives - searchable by surname
- 1867 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Records, 1867-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1835 - 1968 Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1959 - 1997 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1959-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Marquette County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Marquette County, US GenWeb Archives
- Marquette County, WIGenWeb project
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. page 758 Marquette County, Wisconsin (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).