Marr, Yorkshire Genealogy
Guide to Marr, Yorkshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hundred||Strafforth and Tickhill|
|Poor Law Union||Doncaster|
|Parish registers: 1729|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York|
|Location of Archive|
|Yorkshire Record Office|
MARR (St. Helen), a parish, in the union of Doncaster, N. division of the wapentake of Strafforthand Tickhill, W. riding of York, 4 miles (W. N. W.) from Doncaster. 
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Primary registration of births, marriages and deaths took place at the Doncaster registration district has been included in the online index available at Yorkshire BMD for post 1837 events; view the coverage table to check progress on the availability of index search. Marriages include
- Church of England marriages.
- Civil Marriages at register offices, or non-conformist churches where a registrar was required to be present at the ceremony.
- Authorised Person marriages. These cover the non-conformist places of worship which applied to keep their own registers as a result of the Marriage Act, 1898 (bringing them into line with Jewish and Quaker marriages which had this status since 1837). In such cases an 'Authorised Person' (usually the minister or priest) recorded the ceremony instead of the registrar. Earlier weddings in these places would be included with civil marriage registers.
A secondary index of Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD however this secondary index may omit the event and may not contain the detail of the Yorkshire BMD index
Online data content from chapelry registers of Marr exists at some of the following websites and for the specified ranges of years:
|IARC = Archive.org|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|AC = Ancestry - (£)|
|HATH = HathiTrust.org|
|JOIN = JoinerMarriageIndex.co.uk - (£)|
|MARR PARISH (1718) Online Records|
This ancient parish (AP) was created before 1813. Church of England records began in 1729 (St. Helen).
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464276.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 260-263. Date accessed: 22 October 2013.
- 'West Yorkshire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1512-1812,' Ancestry, accessed 10 May 2014.